Hello, just a few questions and my intro

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am certainly a newbie to this forum, but have been lurking in the shadows for a few weeks and learning a lot from all of you. Based on my research, I have decided to go with a PC tower which will be mainly dedicated to BI, but possibly maybe used as a backup for my other computers at a later date. I have the tower built and wanted to check in with you experts to make sure I am planning out the network architecture correctly. I have attached a quick paint drawing to reflect what I plan to do. I am just looking for feedback as to whether this looks like a decent layout and if this layout presents any obvious problems. I appreciate any feedback you all are willing to provide.

proposed network layout.jpg

Reactions: mdm

dalepa

Reaction score
welcome!

looks like a good plan. why the second network? Might consider using 4 port POE switches depending on cable layouts.. I use a tower, which is overkill for a dedicated BI box, but I use it for my daily use PLEX, etc,.. server also...

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe that I need the second network card in order to connect the camera side switch to the PC. Right now, my tower only has one ethernet port/network card. My thought process was that by having the second card, where the switch from the cameras goes directly, all of that traffic is between the cameras and the tower, without ever influencing the internet/wireless network side of my network. Do you think that is unnecessary? If so, I suppose I could run the switch from the camera side directly to the router as opposed to directly to the tower.

dalepa

Reaction score
Is you PC on a private network (192.168.x.x?) If so, unplug your PC from the FIOS and plug it into the "Switch" in your drawing. Then plug your PC into the same Switch

The TPlink 4Port POE and 4 port non-POE will work well for the switch.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I am on a private network. Ok, so in that layout, it will go from my router to the switch, which will go to the PC as well as the two POE switches which will be directly connected to the cameras correct? I just want to make sure that the camera system doesn't bog down the rest of the network and vice versa. Thanks for your assistance with this!

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 6 cameras and an NVR on my network and have no problems. I have gigabit fiber, run 2 laptops, 2 tablets, 2 phones, a NAS, a Weather Station, a Raspberry PI and also have 2 full HD IP set top boxes with 4 receivers on each and don't have a problem. I'm frequently streaming all of my cameras to 2 of the laptops.

I'm running a TP Link Gigabit Switch. The theory behind a switch is that it's smart and knows where the traffic is supposed to go - therefore it doesn't impact on other devices on the network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What dalepa is saying is that as long as the blue iris pc and the wifi access point are plugged into the switch (even a standard unmanaged switch) the camera traffic will not pass through the router unless you are remote viewing and in that case its blue iris webserver traffic which is easily limited.

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I got it. Thanks guys. I am sure that I will have a lot more questions as I progress through this journey. Next up, I need to decide on cameras to get started.