Hello, John here from Long Island. Thinking about some cameras if anyone has time to help. Thank you.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as "pass thru" that will depend on the crimper I've been doing RJ connectors since the 70's so I'm a "dead front" guy, but my crimper is made for dead front connectors. You will probably find it easier to use a "pass thru" connector and a crimper to match. Klein is good and usually available at Lowes and Home Depot. By using a pass thru you'll be able to verify the color coding of the cable and maintain the correct twists on each pair a lot easier than with a dead front.

Reaction score
As far as "pass thru" that will depend on the crimper I've been doing RJ connectors since the 70's so I'm a "dead front" guy, but my crimper is made for dead front connectors. You will probably find it easier to use a "pass thru" connector and a crimper to match. Klein is good and usually available at Lowes and Home Depot. By using a pass thru you'll be able to verify the color coding of the cable and maintain the correct twists on each pair a lot easier than with a dead front.
since the 70's :)
I started with the dead front guys. Migrated to the 2 part RJ45's cause...easier to see color code before crimping, easier to slide the correct color code home, less 'untwist' for end result. But the other 3 guys in my shop like the dead fronts.

Reaction score
I mean...they are just plastic with brass pins. not much to go wrong. Im sure there are cheezy ones out there. We bought 100bag from someplace... something was amiss with the brass pins because when you pulled the patch cord back out of the jack or patch panels, it pulled their brass pins out too. eww.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can buy them at HD or Lowes but you can get better prices elsewhere. I bought a bag of 100 RJ45s a couple of years ago so I have no idea what they're going for now. They shouldn't be all that expensive. I try not to use Amazon for a variety of reasons, but that's just me.

JohnDS

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok cool. One last question for tonight lol. Is 23awg preferred for Cat6?

I see some connectors for 24awg-26-awg. Right now I got my eye on 23awg so just want to match it up unless you think 23awg is overkill.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
23 gauge can't hurt. Although, if you're runs are under 150' I don't think it really matters too much. It can effect PoE power at longer distances but it has to be extreme distances, probably over the spec of 100 meters, say 330'.