Hello, I am new here and was wondering as to how to set up my poe cameras on a different router, and still be able to access it from my main rotuer.

stevenjus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Basically, my main router does not have Vlans, i use a verizon router that simply just works, and I really don't have the money to change it. What i do have is an extra old netgear router flashed with ddwrt, the one id like to use as the router for my cameras. Basically (<- means connected to) , Main verizon router <- netgear ddwrt router <- a computer with either ispy or bluiris, not sure yet, connected to router, along a poe switch for the cameras <- 4 Amcrest poe cameras connected to the switch .

The reasons I want to do this is because:
1. I don't want the cameras to be pinging home
2. I don't want the cameras to affect the bandwidth of my main router
3. I dont want the cameras to risk my network/security reasons.

I also want to be able to access the cameras in this separate router from my main router, without the cameras, or devices in the second router, to have access to any of the devices/anything in the main router. Basically, be able to access everything from main router or so, while the things in the second router to not have any internet access or any access to the main router.

I also want to be able to record the cameras connected to this second router with a computer specifically only for recording, and streaming? my recordings, as I will have this computer at the basement of my house, and would like to be able to see the camera streams, or be able to zoom in or out, or use the blu iris or ispy application, from any other computer in my house (second and third floor, computers/devices connected to main router).

Not sure if im explaining my self too well, or if any of this is possible, so any help and clarifications will be apreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are overthinking it and making it more difficult that it needs to be.

Since you are going to use a program on a computer like Blue Iris or ispy, simply dual NIC the computer ($20 for another NIC). It is the simplest and fastest way to isolate cameras from the internet.

All cameras go into a POE switch and connect that to one ethernet port and the internet goes into the other ethernet port. Two separate systems. Cameras are off the internet and problem solved. The computer acts as the repository of the information so that you can access BI or Ispy from another device on the network by basically connecting to that computer. In a web browser at home you simply type in the IP address of the computer and the port number for the program and you can access the cam feeds.

A dual NIC system solves your 3 issues - the cameras cannot ping home; the cameras will not affect your bandwidth of the router because they do not touch the router; and since it is on a completely different IP address range, your network is secure.

Any router placed downstream of another router has full access to the main router, so it will not keep your cameras off the internet and will cause the 3 problems you are trying to avoid.

Putting cameras on a consumer grade router is a bad idea. Most consumer grade routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get dropped signals and a bunch of other trouble. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic even a GB speed router and even if the cameras are hardwired.

Surveillance cameras ARE ALWAYS streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a surveillance camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

Last edited:

stevenjus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your amazing reply, shows that I really dont know anything about what im doing besidings running the cables and physically installing the cameras haha. So basically, I will have to buy a pcie dual nic card and install it onto my computer. connect one port to my main router, and the other port will have the poe switch connected to it, and the cameras connected to the Poe switch correct?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or simply buy another NIC if the motherboard has room for it, which any intel CPU over a 4th generation should have an available slot to do that.

But yes, you are correct - connect your main router to one port and that port will be on the IP address range of your router. Then connect all the cameras to a POE switch and that switch to the 2nd port. You manually assign an IP address range to the cameras and that port that are not the same IP address range of your internet.

stevenjus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
my mother board already has an internet port, which i assume it means it already has a NIC correct? that means that if i will be buying another NIC, it can be a single port nic as shown, correct? Amazon.com

or am I wrong, and I do in fact need a double port nic Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, so you have one NIC already.

As long as there is a slot available (which unless you have thrown in a bunch of graphics cards or some other accessory), you should have a few slots available to slide a single NIC in.

You would only need the double port NIC if you didn't have an available slot and swapped out the current one port for a double port.

stevenjus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
alright. It wont matter what OS im using correct, I will be using windows 10, as I will also be using that pc for managing an engraving machine.

Question, trying to be cheap here, instead of having to buy a second nic, could I just use a usb to ethernet adapter that i have layign around? As in, my computer already has an integrated Nic/ethernet port, would adding another port with usb work?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Windows 10 is what most of us here are using for Blue Iris! I am Win10 in dual NIC configuration.

stevenjus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Windows 10 is what most of us here are using for Blue Iris! I am Win10 in dual NIC configuration.
Got it. Thank you for all the help! I will try to get it to work as soon as i get a nic on hand!

Amazon.com this wouldnt work correct? i already have it laying around hahaha

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not for the cameras LOL - the USB would never keep up. You could probably get by with it for the internet side though LOL. Especially if you do not use the computer for anything else.

When I was doing the trial of BI on my laptop (laptop is fine for trying out but not everyday use of BI), I put the cameras on the ethernet port and used the wifi for internet access.

stevenjus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not for the cameras LOL - the USB would never keep up. You could probably get by with it for the internet side though LOL. Especially if you do not use the computer for anything else.

When I was doing the trial of BI on my laptop (laptop is fine for trying out but not everyday use of BI), I put the cameras on the ethernet port and used the wifi for internet access.
that was the plan haha. using it for basic internet, and actual ethernet port for the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then give it a try! I think it would be fine in that situation.