Hello from the mid-west.

Reaction score
Hello from the mid-west, I am hoping I don't go down in flames on my first post. I am new the ip camera world. I am looking for some help. Specifically for what kind of camera would i need to read a license plate from the location provided in the picture below. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. BTW - I just purchased a Hikvision 7604 NVR if that helps.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Tricky, but I think it should be doable. You need a lot of zoom and a lot of infrared light so that you can limit the shutter speed to something really fast in order to capture the plates without blur or washout from the car's headlights at night. The cam will not be able to see other objects well at night due to the very fast shutter speed you will need to set, so do not expect it to be a general purpose night cam.

A fairly good inexpensive choice is Hikvision DS-2CD2T32-I8 with a 16mm lens. Here is someone's video of using this cam for license plate capture:

Alternatively there is the DS-2CD2T12-I8 which is 1.3MP and is supposed to perform better in low light. It would probably do a comparable if not better job, but there is only one seller on aliexpress claiming to have it and they don't have the best rating.