Hello From San Francisco (Nearby, Anyway)

Zepp

n3wb
Reaction score
My name is Marc and I've been using IP cameras for a few years now. For four years I've been running a Loftek PTZ outdoor camera on a floating net pen (think "barge" with a hole in the middle that holds juvenile fish) in a West Coast harbor. I have a Ubiquiti wireless link to a land station up on a hill. Everything is solar powered. Its used seasonally and something invariably gets damaged off-season, so I'm having to reconfigure things every year.

This year, I've decided to get a better quality camera. I bought a LOREX 1080p PTZ camera. I'm having a heck of a time getting it configured because it doesn't seem to act like a "network camera." It isn't detected on the network and LOREX technical assistance is worse that useless. I'll start a thread elsewhere seeking configuration help.

Marc

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats a unique setup, welcome.. would love to see some pix

IP Cameras almost never come with DHCP by default, they will have a static IP assigned.. just plugging it into the network and looking for it wont work if its on a different subnet.. typically you temporarily reconfig your network to be on same subnet, get into camera config.. reconfig it for dhcp, then reset it and put your network back.

@kameraman, no he's watching the barge anchored offshore from land.. likely just wants to make sure it's still in position and nobody docked with it.. it probably requires visible beacons he has to ensure are always operating to prevent vessels from colliding with it, he's required to monitor and notify authorities if his beacons have an outage pretty much instantly.. its much the same for radio towers, if the aircraft beacons go out they have to alert traffic and fix them asap.

Last edited by a moderator:

kris1953

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, a solar powered barge is probably the most interesting implementation I've heard of. Have you had security issues in the past, or is it simply more to make sure everything's in ship-shape?