Hello from New Member

fidlerjim

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. Have been lurking for a while and decided to become legit. I've had one DropCam HD for 3 years (mounted outside in SW Florida) and been very satisfied. I pay for the 7 day dvr feature. I like the simplicity and relative network security.

Recently bought an Amcrest ProHD (1080p IP2M-841B) and 32 GB micro SD and so far I've been impressed enough to buy 2 more. I understand that they are not as good as other more expensive cameras but, for $88, I think I can afford to take a chance and learn.

My biggest concern is network security. Right now I've got the Amcrest set up with port forwarding but think I want to isolate the IP cameras and all other IOT gadgets on a completely separate network and keep my Windows computers on a network with nothing else (not even wireless printers). I'm an engineer (retired) but not a network engineer and don't want to have to become one. I'd like it to be simple and foolproof as possible.

ArthurDent

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am also not a network expert but I would like to share my setup with two routers. One router is from my Internet provider which has its own Wifi (i sometimes use this one for guests) and the ethernet-cables to the camera and other stuff which needs to be reachable via the Internet. The other router is for my internal "family" network with all the computers, smart-tv's and wifi for our own mobile devices. The port forwarding I have only configured in the first router.
I am not sure but maybe someone can confirm that this setup is a little more secure than just one router with everything on it.

fidlerjim

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Arthur,
So you have two routers.... How are they connected to your isp? Do you have two separate cable or dsl modems? Two separate isp circuits coming into your home?
I just want to make sure that my ip cameras, Blu-Ray players, Roku, smart TVs, Magic Jack, etc. have no way of communicating with my computers (without coming through the modem, firewall and router that are dedicated to my computers). I think MAYBE port forwarding would be ok on a network with only ip cameras connected. (?)

ArthurDent

n3wb
Reaction score
I only have one internet connection to the first router with the holes punched in the firewall (port forwarding). The second router is connected to the first but with the full firewall (no ports forwarded). So you do not need a second internet connection. The second router just routes the traffic to the first if the traffic is meant for the internet.
And I agree with you that forwarding is OK to a relatively harmless network. What is the worst that can happen? I do not plan to place a camera in my bedroom :D