Hello, complete newbie here.

ajaj990

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm excited to find this forum. Hopefully, I can find the answers here that I need.
I'm having trouble finding the right solutions for the tickets that I'm handling at work. This is my first entry-level job and I'm working with troubleshooting DVR, NVR, and security cameras.
Maybe it's just that I don't have the right mindset to handle these problems. I would really appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, I came in about 2020 and thought these motherfuckers were talkin crazy.....So I went to the land of Misfit toys(amazon) and bought some not very good IP cameras,,,,Ok, but not good....Then I started listening,,,,and reading, and was excited to assemble my own components, and came up with a decent starter PC, and then a used Rack,,,,and a used POE switch....
Now I'm a bonafide 2nd year Rookie,.....:)

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Uh… anytime someone brings up 17 year old equipment I am not sure what to think.
I think it might work if you personally are monitoring via the equipment (monitor). I mean at that point all you need is the ability to view what is happening via an external camera.
But for me, I can’t do that. I need a system that is on ‘autopilot’. I need to know that whether I am watching TV, or am on vacation, that if someone approaches my house (specifically exits the sidewalk and approaches my house or exits the open space and enters my back yard) I am alerted.
But I put emphasis on security, not monitoring so my goals may not be the same as others.
I like how you are trying to go Linux. I like Linux

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would suspect a 17 year old Speco system probably cannot handle any camera over 480P LOL. Every DVR and NVR is rated for a certain resolution and any camera above that simply won't work.

And no people are not locked out of the Qsee system as it is a Dahua OEM and they had to go to setting up a VPN to get into their system, which they should have done anyway....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are right that a DVR is nothing but a computer running Linux - a very watered down computer at that.

DVRs have tiny processors, so even if you could figure out how to modify it with Linux code, I don't think it would have the processing power to take on a higher MP camera. Maybe you get one higher MP camera and it poops out.

Even the expensive brand new NVRs rolling out of the factory cannot take full MP for every channel.

Seems like a lot of work with no realistic return. Maybe a fun hobby to play with and see what you can do, but if you are serious about a system, I think you are wasting your time. You would probably have better luck with a cheap Raspberry Pi lol.

My 720P DVR is sitting on a shelf LOL.