Hello and need help with RCA HSDB2 doorbell cam.

PeterRG

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, interesting, colaborative web community you've got here. I landed here while searching the web for some help to resuscitate my RCA HSDB2 doorbell camera which had been working well since I received and installed it in summer 2020. About two weeks ago I woke up to find the unit offline. Since then I've tried several times to get it reconnected to my WiFi with no success. I've performed a hard reset, deleted the device from the app as well as deleted and reinstalled the app. After the reset and I go through the installation process from scratch I get as far as entering my SSID and password however when I move to the next step instead of connecting to my WiFi the app says "In Settings of the mobile phone connect to WiFi: HSDB2_C967*** and password HSDB2_N*** ". The app setup ignores the SSID info I entered and, of course, there's no such SSID among my list of available networks displayed on my iPhone so it fails when to connect to my network. I've called the Tech Support line at RCA but agent basically said that RCA no longer sells doorbells due to competition from Ring and other manufacturers. Does anyone know how to get this error resolved? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
The app is asking you to connect your phone to the WiFi access being broadcast by the doorbell. You need to connect your phone/the app to the doorbell's wifi network to continue.

PeterRG

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I understand what the app is asking however as I indicated above, the doorbell SSID - HSDB2_C9------ is not actually being broadcasted so it does not show up in the Available Networks populated on my phone. If it appeared I would have been able to connect.
Kindest regards.

PeterRG

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried the option to add an unlisted SSID?
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried adding the SSID and password as an "Other network" on my phone per the App setup however the response is "unable to join the network SSID HSDB2_C96**** ". I'm now wondering whether the Wifi chip in the doorbell device has failed and is not actually broadcasting the SSID named HSDB2_C96---- which may be why the App is not able to see it and connect . Does that make any sense? Im just guessing because I'm out of ideas. :confused: