Hello and About 4 Channel Hikvision NVR Disc Support

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Greetings to all from Turkey. I work as an engineer in the electronic security department of a state bank.

Friends, in some departments, the obligation to keep the image times for one year has been introduced. We are currently using 4 channel Hikvision DS-7104NI-Q1/4P/MT NVRs in these regions. There are 6TB discs in the units. Do these units support 10TB discs? KY2017-5 is written on the processor inside the device. Can we understand what this processor is? Otherwise 1200 NVRs will be rubbish. I am waiting for your ideas and help, thank you very much.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a toy NVR. Latest revision (D) in HIK spec have max 6TB.

Best solution is simply take one NVR, upgrade to latest available firmware and check bigger hard drive sizes.
Sometimes they work sometimes not.
HIK have hundreds of different models of NVR's. No one will check that for You.

ps. there is no electric/connector/protocol difference between 6, 10 or 20 TB SATA hard drives.. this is only software limit.

ps2. for retention of one year for 4 cameras You need something much bigger that one 10 TB hard drive..

Reaction score
This is a toy NVR. Latest revision (D) in HIK spec have max 6TB.

Best solution is simply take one NVR, upgrade to latest available firmware and check bigger hard drive sizes.
Sometimes they work sometimes not.
HIK have hundreds of different models of NVR's. No one will check that for You.

ps. there is no electric/connector/protocol difference between 6, 10 or 20 TB SATA hard drives.. this is only software limit.
Thank you very much. So how can I access the processor and RAM information on this device, using which program?

Reaction score
Hikvision's representative in Turkey claims that these units will not support 10TB in any way, but they refuse to provide any technical justification. I think their goal is to sell another 1200 units.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you very much. So how can I access the processor and RAM information on this device, using which program?
I don't known which version of firmware/UI you have.

Biggest control over NVR you have by connecting any tv/monitor to HDMI port + some mouse over usb. There is local interface there. You need admin password.

Usually most functions are available by logging as admin to web interface. But question is how old firmware / interface you have there.

Some function can be configured by iVMS-4200 app on WIndows/Mac.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hikvision's representative in Turkey claims that these units will not support 10TB in any way, but they refuse to provide any technical justification. I think their goal is to sell another 1200 units.
As I told You before, the only way is to check. Open any NVR, put bigger disk and configure/check is this working over local (HDMI + USB) interface...

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ps. if you really bank with 1200 branches / NVR's, should You have IT people which known how to check is the bigger drives works in NVR?

Reaction score
ps. if you really bank with 1200 branches / NVR's, should You have IT people which known how to check is the bigger drives works in NVR?
Welcome to Turkey. A country of unqualified personnel in everywhere. Anyway, if I talk any more, the cops might barge in.

Reaction score
I don't known which version of firmware/UI you have.

Biggest control over NVR you have by connecting any tv/monitor to HDMI port + some mouse over usb. There is local interface there. You need admin password.

Usually most functions are available by logging as admin to web interface. But question is how old firmware / interface you have there.

Some function can be configured by iVMS-4200 app on WIndows/Mac.
Firmaware: V4.21.002 Build 220418

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome to Turkey. A country of unqualified personnel in everywhere. Anyway, if I talk any more, the cops might barge in.
If You don't have central management / monitoring what is status of all NVR's / hard drives inside / connected cameras + people who maintain this - there is huge risk that some NVR's in some branches simply don't record anything (even due HDD fails). HIK is offering tools for that (HikCentral profesional) - but we are talking about higher price projects for sizes like 1200 branches / NVR's...