Hello All

Voab

n3wb
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I'm relatively new to the security/surveillance camera industry but am looking forward to browsing the forum and learning from you all. Previously, I worked at a datacenter, was a software engineer for awhile, and then got back into networking and helped deploy a really large campus upgrade. Feel free to leech networking/programing knowledge from me at will; I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Feel free to leech networking/programing knowledge from me at will; I'll do my best to answer your questions.
Welcome Chris! Ok...but remember...you asked for it: I want to purchase a 48 port GB POE switch...but I don't want to spend any money because (first) I don't really need it and(second) because I'm really REALLY rEaLlY cheap. What switch do you recommend and what is the most I should pay for it?

Did I say WELCOME!?

Voab

n3wb
Reaction score
but I don't want to spend any money
Well that could be a problem. haha

If it's just unmanaged layer 2 and not layer 3, any of the Cisco Small Business switches do the job. Just make sure it's POE obviously. Depending on your environment (personal/business), I would just scour ebay and buy the cheapest 48port POE I could find. Those things literally last forever. I pulled a switch out of a closet in an old hotel that had to be 20 years old and it was still kicking.

Like, this sucker probably still has 10 years of life left in it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Catalyst-3750-WS-C3750-48PS-S-V05-Managed48-Port-PoE-Stackable-Switch-/272042119317?hash=item3f56f95095:g:Z6AAAOSw7hRWQTHd

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, your network experience will serve you well working with these ip cams.