Hello all!

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there,

Like alot of you ive been dabbling in the cheap store bought cameras and trying to up my game on a budget, ive got a cheap lorex system, and upgraded to a couple (slightly better) dlink IP dome cameras. I am realizing there is alot more I need to learn for placement, camera size and lens width, but I have placement down already hahaha! (I have a big ladder and don't look at the sky or walls lol)

I stumbled on this group trying to properly adjust my Dlink DCS 4602EV outdoor dome camera which is monitoring my driveway, I have my new truck who's reflective tail lights wash out my camera reflecting the camera LED's very frustrating :(

Anyway, I'm going to do some reading, I'm debating on scrapping both systems and getting a low buck I{ camera setup and ive heard mixed reviews about the LAView 4 camera system on newegg.

Ive got a little money to play with but not multiple thousands (unfortunately hahaha)

Glad to meet you all and wish me luck!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there,

Like alot of you ive been dabbling in the cheap store bought cameras and trying to up my game on a budget, ive got a cheap lorex system, and upgraded to a couple (slightly better) dlink IP dome cameras. I am realizing there is alot more I need to learn for placement, camera size and lens width, but I have placement down already hahaha! (I have a big ladder and don't look at the sky or walls lol)

I stumbled on this group trying to properly adjust my Dlink DCS 4602EV outdoor dome camera which is monitoring my driveway, I have my new truck who's reflective tail lights wash out my camera reflecting the camera LED's very frustrating :(

Anyway, I'm going to do some reading, I'm debating on scrapping both systems and getting a low buck I{ camera setup and ive heard mixed reviews about the LAView 4 camera system on newegg.

Ive got a little money to play with but not multiple thousands (unfortunately hahaha)

Glad to meet you all and wish me luck!
Welcome Sjamieso,

Do you have a lorex PoE system?

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome Sjamieso,

Do you have a lorex PoE system?

Have fun joining us here.
Thanks for the info, no my lorex system is an older POS wireless system that I added some cheal amazon zosi wireless cameras to and was pleasantly suprised they were about a million times better than lorex wireless hahaha!

I'm just trying to decide wether to move forward with a couple more wired Dlink IP dome cameras, as I have the small Dlink NVR (the 4 camera one) and if I get more cameras than that they provide their free Dview software I can run on my PC if I need to.

I'm just not sure if I have to run Dlink cameras to use their gear, or if I upgrade to another NVR if the dlink cameras will work (are they proprietary is my question)

Anyway, i will go through your articles and see what I can find, Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, no my lorex system is an older POS wireless system that I added some cheal amazon zosi wireless cameras to and was pleasantly suprised they were about a million times better than lorex wireless hahaha!

I'm just trying to decide wether to move forward with a couple more wired Dlink IP dome cameras, as I have the small Dlink NVR (the 4 camera one) and if I get more cameras than that they provide their free Dview software I can run on my PC if I need to.

I'm just not sure if I have to run Dlink cameras to use their gear, or if I upgrade to another NVR if the dlink cameras will work (are they proprietary is my question)

Anyway, i will go through your articles and see what I can find, Thanks!
Hi sjamieso,

If you have funds, hold off on buying more cheap cameras and get something we've had a chance here to really test and kick the tires of,

The Dahua OEM starlight cameras. They're really great for low light conditions - which many of us are concerned with.

I think once you get a chance to test one, you'll be very pleased with the results.
[ see #18 in my notes.. ]

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alright then, I have actually been trying to sift through a bunch of the articles that were sent to me in this thread, and fast honing in on the Dahua Starlight cameras as the best low buck option, just trying to decide if I can pick one up and run it with the stuff I have or what I would need to run it right now? All I have is the Dlink DNR-202L which is a very small 4 camera DVR not very popular but it does a suprisingly good job running my 2 dlink cameras and recording them to 2 hard drives.

Can you suggest some PC software that might run a new dahua and (Possibly or hopefully) my dlink 4607EV? I havent made it to the software review sections yet hahaha!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Alright then, I have actually been trying to sift through a bunch of the articles that were sent to me in this thread, and fast honing in on the Dahua Starlight cameras as the best low buck option, just trying to decide if I can pick one up and run it with the stuff I have or what I would need to run it right now? All I have is the Dlink DNR-202L which is a very small 4 camera DVR not very popular but it does a suprisingly good job running my 2 dlink cameras and recording them to 2 hard drives.

Can you suggest some PC software that might run a new dahua and (Possibly or hopefully) my dlink 4607EV? I havent made it to the software review sections yet hahaha!
Dahua Options:
1-SmartPSS software which is free, that can be setup to use as an NVR and viewer.
2-Install SD cards in the cams, record to the SD cards, then use the cameras web interface to view and download the videos off the SD card.
3-Blue Iris

General:
Read mat's links.
Domes outdoors are problematic as you have found. Spiders love bullet style. Buy Turret style cam's when possible.

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I have received and setup my:
On advice from you fine folks, and what a difference compared to my DLINK dcs-4602EV it completly blows it out of the water, I am impressed.

I also received over the christmas break an old AXIS p3346 fixed camera that was being decomissioned (it is missing the dome but will work for an indoor only camera) I am pretty impressed with that as well as a 3MP, but for the pice of AXIS cameras, the Dahua has my vote, I'm Impressed!

I have just purchased blue iris and installed it on my acer AMD A10-7800 system, I am trying to get the CPU usage down, as it maxes out on 3 cameras when the screen is open and you are viewing the cameras, the system bogs like crazy.

Anyway, lots to learn still, going to be purchasing a few more of these cameras for cover the rear porch, front door and other areas, it looks like it has the width to cover the front door so I will give it a try for the price :)

Steve