HDD make and model?

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We recently installed a HIKVision security system; we're just finding out our 4Gb HDD isn't big enough for the amount of recording time we require.
We're only getting approx. 8 days of recorded time and I need to add another HDD.
Can I find out the Make / Model of the HDD without shutting it down and removing the drive? I'd like to add the same Make / Model HDD is possible.

Once I get another HDD, what will be my steps to install / add a second HDD?

Can someone point me in the right direction for a HIKVision NVR DS-9632NI-ST?

TIA
brad

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's no advantage I know of for getting the same Make / Model?

It's probably worth opening it up anyway to make sure there is space for another HDD. Not all Hikvision NVRs allow 2.

The steps to install are really easy:

1) Turn off power and wait a few minutes for unit to fully discharge
2) Unscrew enclosure screws and remove lid
3) Plug in SATA cable and power cable to NVR and HDD
4) Screw HDD to NVR
5) Put lid back on and re-screw
6) Turn on - follow wizard to initialise HDD
7) Stand back and admire your work

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Del Boy,
Thanks for the quick reply; I just thought it would keeps things simple for future reference is they were both the same.
I've replaced a lot of Pc Hdd's and I personally prefer Seagates; are their NVR hdd good quality or would you suggest something else?

Also, thanks for the installation steps.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Del Boy,
Thanks for the quick reply; I just thought it would keeps things simple for future reference is they were both the same.
I've replaced a lot of Pc Hdd's and I personally prefer Seagates; are their NVR hdd good quality or would you suggest something else?

Also, thanks for the installation steps.
I wouldn't put a seagate in a nvr not even their security drive, the hard drive you should be looking at is the western digital Purple 4tb this is the benchmark hard drive unit for CCTV recordings

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Back blaze did an article on HDD drive failure but most people only looked at the photos and didn't read it properly. Seagates had the worst failure rates but by Back blaze's own admission they sourced the drives from the cheapest they could find and that included refurbed drives. Not exactly a fair test but people can't be arsed to read an article when they can just post a photo which appears very damning.

Seagate also make a surveillance range. From personal experience though, I think the purple and surveillance range are a rip-off for normal consumers. The main advantage is that should they fail, Seagate/WD will reconstruct them and recover the data on them. I don't need that level of service.

Also WD Green and Purple are identical except the firmware, which has been "optimised" for lower writes for CCTV purposes. I'd save your money and get a WD Green but otherwise WD Purple is a fine choice too.

Just my two cents based on my experiences.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your input; I chose to go with the WD Purple 4GB. Since this is a business and not my personal home system.
I always appreciate the "two cents" or I wouldn't ask. :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think GB means what you think it does...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good deal but be-aware that most Hikvision NVRs we use don't support 5TB and only up to 4TB

Lunchietey

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but how many TB would be needed for 7 cams, 1080p 15fps constant recording?

I will be using a 4tb WD purple as a minimum, what will 2 drives give me?

I found an online calculator that says 6TB would last 30 days at the above rate. Does that sound right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but how many TB would be needed for 7 cams, 1080p 15fps constant recording?

I will be using a 4tb WD purple as a minimum, what will 2 drives give me?

I found an online calculator that says 6TB would last 30 days at the above rate. Does that sound right?
The ONLY thing that matters is the bitrate..nothing else...you can use this calculator..disregard everything except the bitrate/data rate..4096 is generally a good setting for 1080p 15fps..you need to enter 100 in record percentage...if you use variable bitrate you can save lots of room..but you need to test in the real world to see how much storage you will need.
https://exacq.com/config/

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know what GB means, I'm just not used to using TB drives...I meant TB.

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
another question / problem!
I went up to the NVR to shut it down to install my new HDD; my screen is stuck (frozen) on what appears CAM1 video feed. I can't get the menu to come up.
How do I get the menu to show up onscreen?
Moving the mouse don't work, Mouse clicks left/right don't work, hitting the "Menu" button of the front didn't work either.
Do I have a lockup NVR?

bfordz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still wondering why it froze up like that.
I got around it via the WebApp using firefox.
While I was in there I wanted to change the VGA output settings to use a different monitor; it rebooted the NVR when I saved the settings.

Once it rebooted I was able to get in via the NVR, shut it down and install the new HDD.

Will it automatically start using the new HDD or will I have to tell it to record to that drive when the 1st drive is full?

TIA

techie007

n3wb
Reaction score
I know what GB means, I'm just not used to using TB drives...I meant TB.

1 TeraBytes (TB) = 1000 GB

My personal recommendation is Western Digital Purple range of disk. The Purple range of hard disk are designed for Surveillance system use that run or 24x7. You may check out this link and mouse-over the image for a close-up view on the description. Of course there other brands too with enterprise grade that run for 24x7.
http://www.amazon.com/Purple-4TB-Surveillence-Hard-Drive/dp/B00IMPO5OW/ref=sr_1_90?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436665459&sr=1-90&keywords=western+digital

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.