HDD for BI 4

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see it is recommended to use 7200 RPM drives for BI 4. Has anyone used the WD purple drives with BI? What are others using? I have been using a green drive with version 3. Wanting to replace drive at same time as software upgrade.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..WD purple is a great choice...lots of folks here are using them.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..WD purple is a great choice...lots of folks here are using them.
Is this what you're using? It's not a 7200 rpm drive. Curious if anyone has a comparison of the purple vs red vs black drive with Blue Iris.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went the SDD approach, 120GB SDD as whatever clips/etc occur are stored Dropbox

I am using an SSD for boot and for the programs/applications. I'm not too interested in using off-site storage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not using it, because I just use the hard drives that come with my systems (some are mini and only use 2.5 drives) .. But I have seen reviews for the drive with blue iris I believe both here and on cam it, that are positive.. I would not be concerned about the drive speed.. It's designed to handle multiple hd streams.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not using it, because I just use the hard drives that come with my systems (some are mini and only use 2.5 drives) .. But I have seen reviews for the drive with blue iris I believe both here and on cam it, that are positive.. I would not be concerned about the drive speed.. It's designed to handle multiple hd streams.
Boy, I couldn't find any reviews, here or the other site.....

Thanks

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thought it might be worth mentioning... I have a pair of WD Red's. Visit the product page.

I was a little apprehensive to go with them for one main reason really. First, WD is somewhat vague about the internal specs and mechanics of their drives, namely the spindle speed. This was most evident in their Green's and likewise, I had to do a fair bit of research to find out accurate information on the Red's. There was plenty of debate over the speed being 5400RPM, 5900RPM and then varying speeds of 5400 - 7200RPM.

WD are huge on "branding" their drives to be suited to a specific purpose. It's a very clever marketing strategy and has kept them on top of the game (so to speak). The Purple's were released just after I purchased my drives so they weren't in the equation, but from what I have learned about them they seem to be a good option and are mechanically suited to be used under NVR conditions. I'm just unsure of their longevity and how they fair with power consumption and heat generation. I would advise doing a bit of reading on current owners reviews, just to be thorough (and placing just a little less value on the "branding" WD has created, to look further at whats beyond it).

With that said, the reason I did end up settling on WD's Red's was that after confirming the variable drive speed of 5,400-7,200RPM ("IntelliPower" - Another WD branding) ...offers a fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance... This combined with a healthy 64mb cache handles streaming media with just as much ease as remedial file serving. The next point to highlight is that these Red's are hybrid enterprise grade manufactured. The materials used, manufacturing process and quality assurance measures are simply not obtainable in any other SOHO market directed drives. The jump in cost to enterprise grade drives is just not justifiable in most SOHO applications, despite the assurance of many times more working hours and lower failure rates.

Having owned the drives for quite some time and thoroughly using them, my experience with them has been a very positive one. They're almost silent, very energy efficient and have a very low heat dispersion. Which is mostly due to the variable spindle speed, build quality and intelligent firmware. These are also important considerations when running multiple drives in close proximity, as vibration and heat will directly affect a drives lifespan.

You can read more about them here: http://www.cnet.com/news/western-digital-ships-6tb-wd-red-nas-hard-drive-and-all-new-wd-red-pro-lineup/

I can of course only speak of my own experience, and by no means is my intention to push you in any direction towards your final decision, I hope only that this gives you a bit to think about and maybe helps you consider some factors you may not have thought of before deciding on a large expense (and a device you ultimately know you can rely on).

Attachments

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been using an SSD for the main storage since last year with Blue Iris. It has worked great. But I only reserve 30GB of space for it on the SSD. Then the videos are pushed to a 6TB, low power, platter hard drive where I reserve 200GB of space for Blue Iris videos(the rest is used for my TiVo recordings). I stream twelve Ip cameras to Blue Iris 24/7/365 at a total bitrate of between 50Mb/s and 60Mb/s.