HD for OS and camera software

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a decision on a hard drive for my camera server. Don't know whether to go with an SSD or spindle HD for the OS and camera software (will use WD Purple for data storage). I certainly don't need the speed of an SSD but it would be quieter, cooler. On the other hand I can get a 1TB spindle drive for about the same price as an 120GB SSD. I could use the remainder of the 1TB for backup of non-camera data.

Your thoughts please??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a decision on a hard drive for my camera server. Don't know whether to go with an SSD or spindle HD for the OS and camera software (will use WD Purple for data storage). I certainly don't need the speed of an SSD but it would be quieter, cooler. On the other hand I can get a 1TB spindle drive for about the same price as an 120GB SSD. I could use the remainder of the 1TB for backup of non-camera data.

Your thoughts please??
If im using a secondary drive for storage I like to have an ssd for the OS...makes updates/reboots quick...

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If im using a secondary drive for storage I like to have an ssd for the OS...makes updates/reboots quick...
Well I'm running an SSD in my business computer with a secondary spindle HD and have been super pleased. I was just thinking I really wouldn't be doing much updating or changing on the camera server, BUT I still think of the lower sound and cooler operation of the SSD and it's hard to not use one as the primary drive.

I used to think the SSD's would eventually replace all conventional HD's but due to costs I'm not sure now. Time will tell.