Hazy Ring

chadskie

n3wb
Reaction score
I have this hazy ring on my camera (HDW5231R-ZE). I've cleaned the lens on the outside. Is it a reflection from the house light? I didn't have it when I was testing the camera position with a 2x4 and bucket. Any ideas?

Last edited:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the haze still there when you turn that light off?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Condensation that dried up inside the camera? Try cleaning the outside a bit more with a microfiber glasses cleaning cloth.

It could still be a reflection issue try angling it away from the house slightly (with the light off, IR is still reflecting).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, reflections can come from any nearby reflective surfaces you wouldn't expect, even those which are outside the camera's view. Such as the surface you mounted the camera on.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
show us a picture of the installed cam and the surrounding area from around the middle of the driveway...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a Hikvision Technical bulletin, below, with the aforementioned items to consider plus the possibility of a missing or out of place foam ring. I don't have any domes but would think that some issues that affect Hikvision domes would also apply to Dahua domes.
his camera is a turret

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
oh! I remember now: the lens moves back & forth inside a fixed sleeve that has a foam (or rubber?) ring attached to it.
make sure your foam ring is pressing firmly up against the inside of the glass. When i opened up my (very similar)
2231 turret for another reason, i noticed that foam wasn't making good contact, so when I put it back together,
I pulled the foam ring out a bit to make sure it pressed against the glass well once buttoned up again.
Of course, this means opening the cam and possibly voiding your warranty, so try only once you've eliminated external
reflections as the cause...

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
The foam shouldn't be an issue on a turret model since IR is not enclosed or sharing same space with camera like those on bullet or dome.

chadskie

n3wb
Reaction score
show us a picture of the installed cam and the surrounding area from around the middle of the driveway...
See attached photos...FYI, the motion activated light is not on in my original post.

There have been a few people with focus, rubber ring, or chromatic aberration issues with the HDW5231R-ZE.

@chadskie How's the image during the day?
It looks great during the day. I don't see the ring. Could be that foam ring like pozzello below mentioned...

oh! I remember now: the lens moves back & forth inside a fixed sleeve that has a foam (or rubber?) ring attached to it.
make sure your foam ring is pressing firmly up against the inside of the glass. When i opened up my (very similar)
2231 turret for another reason, i noticed that foam wasn't making good contact, so when I put it back together,
I pulled the foam ring out a bit to make sure it pressed against the glass well once buttoned up again.
Of course, this means opening the cam and possibly voiding your warranty, so try only once you've eliminated external
reflections as the cause...
Hmmm, could be onto something. It does kind of look round like that foam ring. I'll have to check that out.

I will have to get some help to adjust it (physical disability) and see if there's a reflection coming from somewhere. When I zoom in and out the ring doesn't move, it's weird. I'll see if I can get a video of it.
Thanks for all the help so far! Much appreciated.

Last edited:

chadskie

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's a video. After making this, it does kind of seem/look like something is reflecting...

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
The foam shouldn't be an issue on a turret model since IR is not enclosed or sharing same space with camera like those on bullet or dome.
i disagree. even a turret lens needs to be sealed off from internal reflections.
improperly fitted ring will let light in from the side that normally will not get in, like from an internal LED.
in the daytime, it's not enuf to cause a problem, but at night, the internal reflection from that LED is enuf to cause the halo.
these super-low-light cams are especially sensitive to such light polution.

and right, the ring does not move when the lens moves to zoom, as the lens is inside a fixed sleeve and the foam/rubber ring is supposed
to keep that sleeve sealed off from the rest of the assembly

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See attached photos...FYI, the motion activated light is not on in my original post.

It looks great during the day. I don't see the ring. Could be that foam ring like pozzello below mentioned...

Hmmm, could be onto something. It does kind of look round like that foam ring. I'll have to check that out.

I will have to get some help to adjust it (physical disability) and see if there's a reflection coming from somewhere. When I zoom in and out the ring doesn't move, it's weird. I'll see if I can get a video of it.
Thanks for all the help so far! Much appreciated.
It looks like light from your porch light may be directly hitting / reflecting on the glass.
You could try blocking off part of the light with some foil, I's suggest relocating the camera so it's centered over the light.
upload_2019-1-9_23-19-29.png

chadskie

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like light from your porch light may be directly hitting / reflecting on the glass.
You could try blocking off part of the light with some foil, I's suggest relocating the camera so it's centered over the light.
View attachment 37687
The thing is, I still see it with all porch lights off, BW image and IR on. I'll see about blocking out the lights, though. I'll also consider moving it because seeing how there's that area above with no light could still be beneficial even if it doesn't fix the issue.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The thing is, I still see it with all porch lights off, BW image and IR on. I'll see about blocking out the lights, though. I'll also consider moving it because seeing how there's that area above with no light could still be beneficial even if it doesn't fix the issue.
With IR on, you may be getting some reflection off of that beam. There could be an issue with the camera or it may just be placement.

chadskie

n3wb
Reaction score
With IR on, you may be getting some reflection off of that beam. There could be an issue with the camera or it may just be placement.
I can easily adjust it so I'll do that tomorrow evening. And I have a brand new camera that I can throw in there, too. So I'll hopefully eliminate 2 of the 3 possibilities tomorrow :D. Thanks again!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
he sees it with no IR at night. after seeing the video, i'm even more convinced it's the foam/rubber ring causing internal reflections, not external...