Have a proposed system build. Need advice please.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm finally getting my crap together in one building and getting rid of a few rental garages. We are getting internet installed and will be installing four POE IP cameras.
Three HNC328-MB
One HNC324-MB

Everything will be wired CAT6 (tomorrow). My plan is to hide all of the electronics in an old wooden cabinet.
The 8 port POE gig switch, The router, cable modem and the PC to run BI. Cabinet will be vented well.
The cabinet isn't very large, so a PC won't fit.
BUT... I do have a Seeed Odyssey XJ86J4105.
Intel Celeron J4105 CPU @1.5ghz spike to 2.5ghz (could be 2.0)
8gig Ram.
Two 2TB SSD drives
External 4 to 8 gig Purple Drive
Win 10 Enterprise.

Am I setting myself up for failure?
I don't want to buy an NVR. I've become accustomed to BI and do not want to change.

Thank you for all of your assistance and advice,
Smitty

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That CPU supports quicksync, so with 4 cameras and using sub-streams I think you would be fine.
Write video directly to the Purple drive though, don't write to the SSD's first. Sure writing to the SSD's first would work, but you increase your overall IO shuffling things around and the system can get congested, it's just not very efficient and may lead to premature failure of the purple drive. The purple drive is designed to be constantly spinning and written to not, put to sleep.
Keep alerts ect.. on the SSD's.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Couldn't get the CPU usage in control with 4 cameras.
Brought the cameras down to 720 and the frame rate to 5. Still had some spiking.

Going to buy another copy of BI and load it on an I7 with 16gbram.
It is a Lenovo Tiny.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you do all of the optimization shown in the wiki including the substreams and not using limit decoding? You are on a computer not many would recommend, but with optimization for 4 cameras you can probably squeak by - and are you attempting to use it for anything else or just BI?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm just speculating here based on the FGBGA socket spec, but that Celeron seems to be a mobile, laptop, processor. Those are not designed to run hard and constantly, as is required by video surveillance demands, and will throttle back due to heating. That in turn will make utilization rise which will create even more heat.

What i7 are you planning on? Just "i7" doesn't meant a whole lot.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My first attempt was trying to run BI on a Small Board Computer. It is a Seeed Odyssey. More of a tinkerer's computer with built in Arduino and such.
Rather than deal with it's limitations, I just ordered an i7-4765t Lenovo M93p. I'm not limiting frame rate, still going direct to disk and my cpu is at 26 percent with 5 cameras.
I'm happy now. I will be checking out those BI tutorials, so I can be less of a noob.
Thank you all.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My first attempt was trying to run BI on a Small Board Computer. It is a Seeed Odyssey. More of a tinkerer's computer with built in Arduino and such.
Rather than deal with it's limitations, I just ordered an i7-4765t Lenovo M93p. I'm not limiting frame rate, still going direct to disk and my cpu is at 26 percent with 5 cameras.
I'm happy now. I will be checking out those BI tutorials, so I can be less of a noob.
Thank you all.
You typically want to avoid T processors, they are essentially laptop cpu's.
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
with a i7-4765t set your compression on the cameras to h.264 as it will not be able to use the graphics process or h.265.
Make sure you are using intel acceleration in BI, Also make sure you are using sub streams.