Hardware Suggestions?

gregm

n3wb
Reaction score
What hardware would you guys suggest for a landscaping & nursery small business setup?

Like for example, (PC + Blue Iris + X number of cams) or (a kit or package with some recording device plus X number of cams)?

I'm in the process of "doing my homework", but thought you all would have some insight as to why I would go with one path versus the other.

Some details:
  • landscaping nursery, farm-like environment
    • need to monitor the exterior of a 40x50 building,
    • and parking area of similar size
    • mostly evening/night
  • maybe 8-10 cams total ish, wired POE
  • currently they have no internet, but they will likely in the near future

if it helps, my home setup is
  • PC (with plenty of RAM, memory, etc) with Blue Iris
  • 3 cams
  • the PC and BI work fine for my needs, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate for the small bus setup

If there is another forum more appropriate for this question, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Stick with BI on a used business class machine, i5 or i7 in the 6th generation or newer range and 16GB of RAM. Disk space as required for your needed retention time. A PC like that can be had off of eBay or directly from Dell or HP for under $400 or even $300 complete with Win10/Pro on it.

For cameras, stick with 1/1.8" 4MP or 1/2.8" 2MP cameras. Those are the "sweet spot" for night performance. Plan on adding some external IR illuminators though just to improve night vision even more. Only you can determine where and how many cameras will be needed. Posting a sketch of the location might help to refine things as well.

BI will handle up to 64 cameras per license. Since the addition of sub streams to BI it will easily handle 20-30 cameras without overloading the CPU. The advantage of BI is that it is far more versatile than an NVR both in terms of motion detection and being able to handle cameras from just about any manufacturer. The disadvantage is that versatility comes at a price of tinkering to fine tune everything. Even an NVR needs tinkering in that respect though.

gregm

n3wb
Reaction score
Stick with BI on a used business class machine, i5 or i7 in the 6th generation or newer range and 16GB of RAM. Disk space as required for your needed retention time. A PC like that can be had off of eBay or directly from Dell or HP for under $400 or even $300 complete with Win10/Pro on it.

For cameras, stick with 1/1.8" 4MP or 1/2.8" 2MP cameras. Those are the "sweet spot" for night performance. Plan on adding some external IR illuminators though just to improve night vision even more. Only you can determine where and how many cameras will be needed. Posting a sketch of the location might help to refine things as well.

BI will handle up to 64 cameras per license. Since the addition of sub streams to BI it will easily handle 20-30 cameras without overloading the CPU. The advantage of BI is that it is far more versatile than an NVR both in terms of motion detection and being able to handle cameras from just about any manufacturer. The disadvantage is that versatility comes at a price of tinkering to fine tune everything. Even an NVR needs tinkering in that respect though.
Great answer. That's the direction in which i was leaning (PC + BI + cams). Your insight on cameras was especially helpful. Thank you.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's some links. Andy, EpireTech Andy, is an excellent source.

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review