Hardware question

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman got a question for you. I just dug up my old gaming box that I'm thinking of converting to BI4 station.

Its couple of years old. Want to see if its up to par to run BI4 with hardware accelaration or should I be looking at something newer?

Motherboard: Z77 Extreme 4
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme4/

32GB 1866 RAM ( can remove non needed dimms)
CPU: Intel i7-3770s
http://ark.intel.com/products/65524/Intel-Core-i7-3770S-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

250GB SSD drive for windows 10
Intel HD 4000 graphics
3tb WD red HDD or I can get purple if needed.

Are these still good to use or should i get one of the refurb dells that you recommend? will they give me better performance?

thanks

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it says that your cpu accepts hardware acceleration, so i think it probably would do great depending on how many cam's you want to use

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i think you will do fine with this system, and if you think it won't you can always update ;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
like vince said, it will be fine. Dont waste money on a new system.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool just wanted to double check. I'm currently using LTS Nvr but want to compare blue iris as well. Another question - If i don't buy BI4 and use trial version Direct to disk is not going to work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool just wanted to double check. I'm currently using LTS Nvr but want to compare blue iris as well. Another question - If i don't buy BI4 and use trial version Direct to disk is not going to work?
It wont work. You can select it but it wont work properly so you will see much higher cpu. You dont need direct to disk to see if it has the features you need.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
True. I just wanted to test performance as if it was in "production"

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are some reports in the topic about the latest update that supports HA, i have seen some reports of cpu usage with the same CPU as you have and with probably some more camera's as you have planned.
I would expect that it maybe sits around 10-20 % maybe lower ? when using direct disk and HA.
Anyway with that cpu , you will be good for what you are planning for a little while or you want 25 Fps and no direct disc then it will use come power ;)

James DiBernardo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If your going to build, build big and science the shit out of it.

I spent the cheddar a while back on this and am completely content.

Intel server workstation board Dual Core Xeon Processors, 48 GB ECC-ram.

128 GB SSD for windows 10 (C), 3 TB RAID 0 (E) [ Where BI is installed and recording to ], 1 TB of Dropbox for offloading anything critical in life. [Baby photos, crime videos, etc... ]

Idle:
1.png

Forced all 6 cams to record:

2.png

Typically while I have BI running on this machine, i'm also streaming my XboxOne in highest quality, and listening to Spotify. Maybe, if a new movie came out, have DVDFAB ripping a blu-ray to add to my media collection... all at the same time.

Zero Hiccups.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your going to build, build big and science the shit out of it.

I spent the cheddar a while back on this and am completely content.

Intel server workstation board Dual Core Xeon Processors, 48 GB ECC-ram.

128 GB SSD for windows 10 (C), 3 TB RAID 0 (E) [ Where BI is installed and recording to ], 1 TB of Dropbox for offloading anything critical in life. [Baby photos, crime videos, etc... ]

Idle:
View attachment 7839

Forced all 6 cams to record:

View attachment 7840

Typically while I have BI running on this machine, i'm also streaming my XboxOne in highest quality, and listening to Spotify. Maybe, if a new movie came out, have DVDFAB ripping a blu-ray to add to my media collection... all at the same time.

Zero Hiccups.
not bad. thats what i did back in the day when i built this. it was designed for flight simming.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@James DiBernardo Keep in mind that you have a very low load on the server only about 6mp. A modern setup with say 6 3mp cameras would yield a very different result. You might be better of with a 300 modern i5 haswell with hardware acceleration as the power consumption on that server is likely very high.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
the PSU is a 1600W. I never really did a power consumption test on it. I assume its high lol
You should buy a killawatt meter. Its not anywhere near 1600w, but its likely drawing crazy numbers that can pay for a new efficient pc in as little as a year, maybe two.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have solar as well, not a really valid excuse, still a waste of energy in my opinion.
i rather get more money back from the electricity company and buy from this money something else then use the power only for a cctv server.