Hardware question

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We have a Blue Iris set-up with 4 cameras monitoring a grain storage facility on our farm. We built the computer with a AMD A8-5600K Trinity Quad-Core 3.6GHz processor and put 8GB of ram in it. I'm starting to wonder if that is not sufficient. Our CPU is consistently above 50% with some spikes in the 80% and even 100% range. The system seems to work fine, with one exception. We use the mobile app to monitor the grain flow as we load the semi. That way we can stay in the semi and move it forwards or backwards based on how it is being loaded. The problem is the video on the mobile app will sometimes slow down or freeze and then catch up. We are loading grain at about 5 bushels a second, so a 10 second delay means about 2,800 pounds of grain which could overload or overflow the truck. This means using the mobile app is really not possible. We have noticed that the delay seems to be less when the computer is "sleeping", which leads us to believe it could be a hardware issue. The iphone with the mobile app is connected to the same LAN as the Blue Iris server.

Any idea if my computer hardware is sufficient? Is this even the likely cause?

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg
[h=1][/h]

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At a 4,327 benchmark that processor is weak. Go to Costco and purchase an i7 CPU desktop and install BI on it to test to see if it is the CPU. You can return the desktop to Costco if you don't like it...you have 90 days to return it for a full refund.

1) How are your cameras connected to the network? Are they hardwired with ethernet cable?

2) How does the iPhone connect the the network?
a) Through your local wireless network?
b) Through the mobile network?
c) If through the mobile network, what is your mobile bandwidth?

InQuiring minds want to know.

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1. The cameras are connected via ethernet through a ZyXEL GS1900-8HP PoE switch. It is the routed using an ASUS RT-N66U router.

2. The iPhone connects to the LAN via Wi-Fi. We have an external Wi-Fi antenna with a 1/4 mile range. The phone is at most 100 feet away from this antenna when it is being used.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you able to do the Costco i7 test? It's pretty simple: export the BI Windows Reg file from the "old machine," then deactivate the license on the "old machine." Then install BI on the new system and then import the reg file. All of this should only take 30 minutes max (not including the trip to Costco). Alternatively, order the new machine from Costco.com and have them bring it to you. All of this assumes you have a Costco membership.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We have a Blue Iris set-up with 4 cameras monitoring a grain storage facility on our farm. We built the computer with a AMD A8-5600K Trinity Quad-Core 3.6GHz processor and put 8GB of ram in it. I'm starting to wonder if that is not sufficient. Our CPU is consistently above 50% with some spikes in the 80% and even 100% range. The system seems to work fine, with one exception. We use the mobile app to monitor the grain flow as we load the semi. That way we can stay in the semi and move it forwards or backwards based on how it is being loaded. The problem is the video on the mobile app will sometimes slow down or freeze and then catch up. We are loading grain at about 5 bushels a second, so a 10 second delay means about 2,800 pounds of grain which could overload or overflow the truck. This means using the mobile app is really not possible. We have noticed that the delay seems to be less when the computer is "sleeping", which leads us to believe it could be a hardware issue. The iphone with the mobile app is connected to the same LAN as the Blue Iris server.

Any idea if my computer hardware is sufficient? Is this even the likely cause?

View attachment 6958View attachment 6959
First, make sure the cameras are recording direct to disk. Second, there is something wrong with your pc, if its showing only a 1 on the graphics score, the drivers may not be installed correctly.
Finally, in the webserver tab increase the bitrate to 2048, then select ultra fast and zero latency.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
I would add - don't actually have BlueIris open on the computer. It should be running as a service, and you should not see it

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another option is to monitor the cameras directly instead of blue iris for the grain flow...(in general, amd is a poor choice for a VMS cpu)...look at intel next time.

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm a little limited in what troubleshooting I can do. The computer is 60 miles away. I can remote in with Chrome Remote Desktop, but the internet line there is 1mb at best.

I think I'll try to monitor the cameras directly first and see if that works. That would completely bypass the computer. Can you guys recommend a good IP camera app for iOS?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a little limited in what troubleshooting I can do. The computer is 60 miles away. I can remote in with Chrome Remote Desktop, but the internet line there is 1mb at best.

I think I'll try to monitor the cameras directly first and see if that works. That would completely bypass the computer. Can you guys recommend a good IP camera app for iOS?
What brand of cameras?

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll try that app the next time I'm out there. Thanks for the help!