Hardware acceleration messes up image - Intel QuickSync

Eastwood

n3wb
Reaction score
7B915726-8EE7-40FA-941B-996508462900.jpeg
I am helping a friend with their Blue Iris configuration. The computer has an i5-9400. When I enable Intel hardware acceleration, all the camera feeds get messed up in the same way. The bottom 4/5 of the image is garbled.

They work fine when hardware acceleration is set to off.

Any ideas? A driver I’m supposed to update or something?

These are cameras from an Amcrest NVR set, if that matters.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check out the discussion in this thread. Lots more that discuss this. Some use old drivers that work. I solved mine by hooking up a monitor and then using an emulator to trick it in to thinking it had a monitor. No issues since.

Eastwood

n3wb
Reaction score
Check out the discussion in this thread. Lots more that discuss this. Some use old drivers that work. I solved mine by hooking up a monitor and then using an emulator to trick it in to thinking it had a monitor. No issues since.
Thanks. We’ll try some older drivers.

We have a TV hooked up to the computer via HDMI right now as a monitor. Think that could be a problem? We’ll try a monitor with a vga cable.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. We’ll try some older drivers.

We have a TV hooked up to the computer via HDMI right now as a monitor. Think that could be a problem? We’ll try a monitor with a vga cable.
I wouldn’t think so. Memory Leak: Quick Sync (Hardware Acceleration)
This link has list of drivers people have used. But search the forum for quick sync or hardware acceleration and you will find lots of advice on this topic. Make a list and start testing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is not a typical issue you see with bad drivers. Something else is going in. What type of cameras? post the cameras video settings.

Eastwood

n3wb
Reaction score
This is not a typical issue you see with bad drivers. Something else is going in. What type of cameras? post the cameras video settings.
Will try and get a pic. They are from an Amcrest set. Would like to try and flash them with Dahua firmware if I can determine the original model number.

My friend has an uninstalled Dahua cam they just got, so will see if they can plug that in and see if it has the issue, or it’s just camera related.

Here’s a pic of the set. It was from Staples. The link no longer works though:
Adjustments.jpg

Eastwood

n3wb
Reaction score
We tested hardware acceleration with the Dahua camera, and it works fine. So we're having a camera issue.

The cameras are Amcrest Qcam ip3m952e. Unfortunately, we cannot seem to get to the cameras configuration settings. We put the cameras IP addresses into the web browser, and it says:

Please left-click the following icon to download and upgrade the plugin.​

Please restart the browser after upgrade.​

We tried installing it, on every browser, and Windows and Mac, and it always just gives the same message to upgrade the plugin.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did the plug-in recently in chrome for an Amcrest camera. It pulled up in a separate window. So make sure you have ad blockers, popup blockers disabled for that page

Eastwood

n3wb
Reaction score
I did the plug-in recently in chrome for an Amcrest camera. It pulled up in a separate window. So make sure you have ad blockers, popup blockers disabled for that page
I got it to work in IE compatibility mode.

Not sure where to get more recent firmware. I found one on Amcrest.IN. Hopefully that’s ok to use.

The settings are pretty basic with this QCam firmware. Is there Dahua or some other brand’s firmware that would work on it?

Still can’t get them to work with hardware acceleration. Not sure why it’s camera related.

Reaction score
Even if you loaded Dahua firmware, it's likely the configuration NVRAM will still say something besides Dahua, and it may not work. You'd probably have to do some low-level CFE bit-twiddling to get Dahua firmware loaded successfully.

Eastwood

n3wb
Reaction score
Even if you loaded Dahua firmware, it's likely the configuration NVRAM will still say something besides Dahua, and it may not work. You'd probably have to do some low-level CFE bit-twiddling to get Dahua firmware loaded successfully.
Guess I don’t need Dahua. Just have these two problems. One, hardware acceleration ruins the picture, and two, they lose signal often. So was hoping other firmware would be more stable.

Reaction score
Could be a cabling/termination issue.
Are they Cat-5e or Cat-6 cables?
Are they solid core 100% copper conductors in the wire?
Could they be the less-reliable copper-clad aluminum (CCA) ?
Do you have the ability to put new ends on the cables?

Is there any chance it's a power supply issue?
Either the power brick or the internal PoE switch in the NVR?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running the video traffic through your router. Do not go that.
Your video problem is more than likely a bad cable or a bad switch. Pull the camera down, and run a desk check with a premade ramble for 24 hours.

Reaction score
Here's an earlier thread from elsewhere regarding the same problem with the same cameras. Their solution is to use the camera's web interface, and set the H.264 encoding profile to 'baseline'.

If I had to guess, I'd say there are flaws in the QCAM h.264H (high) encoding firmware.
One other similar thread elsewhere suggested lowering the camera settings:
FPS: 10
I-Frame: 10
Bitrate: 1536

The problem here is the lower FPS and bitrate don't provide the best video quality. :(

Last edited: