Hanwha Wave Wisenet VMS

ryan99alero

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone else using Wisenet Wave VMS as their solution? I switched to it over BlueIris as I started upgrading my Security Camera's to HanWha 9082 and 9083 series camera's. Why they have "AI" based edge analytics. No compute resources required. Seriously reduced false alerts. Got tired of the hundreds of tree / grass moving alerts. I know BlueIris can someone handle the integration of Edge camera's but figured I'd use Hanwha's as it'd be a tighter integration. They do support most ONVIF camera's. I only say most as I tried adding my Sony VM722R via ONVIF and it locked the solution up. They are working on a patch but just added it via RTSP. Just don't get the benefit of ONVIF where a setting change in HanWha writes a change back to camera. Why HanWha camera's?? They are government approved meaning no baked in back doors like Hikivision camera's.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone else using Wisenet Wave VMS as their solution? I switched to it over BlueIris as I started upgrading my Security Camera's to HanWha 9082 and 9083 series camera's. Why they have "AI" based edge analytics. No compute resources required. Seriously reduced false alerts. Got tired of the hundreds of tree / grass moving alerts. I know BlueIris can someone handle the integration of Edge camera's but figured I'd use Hanwha's as it'd be a tighter integration. They do support most ONVIF camera's. I only say most as I tried adding my Sony VM722R via ONVIF and it locked the solution up. They are working on a patch but just added it via RTSP. Just don't get the benefit of ONVIF where a setting change in HanWha writes a change back to camera. Why HanWha camera's?? They are government approved meaning no baked in back doors like Hikivision camera's.
Hanwha is a solid brand with a good product, but there are a couple of misrepresentations and misconceptions in your post.

First and foremost - Your cameras are not government approved and they are not inspected for backdoors. Ndaa simply bans certain components from select manufactures. You are under a false sense of security. Many ndaa approved brands have lots of past and likely current vulnerabilities.
Hanwah like EVERY camera manufacture in the past has suffered from vulnerabilities. Thousands of smart cameras were exposed and open to attackers
there is a vulnerability from December 2021. Now certainly hanwha is much more proactive at resolving vulnerabilities but understand that because they are a smaller brand, they have less attempted attacks and there are likely vulnerabilities that are being exploited and not reported. That said, you MUST protect hanwha cameras the same way you would a hikvision camera by not allowing them any direct internet access - you access your network via a vpn and only allow outbound alerts. At this point the cameras have the exact same level of security. You paid extra but gained nothing not to mention domes will result in awful reflection.

Second - price. The hanwah cameras are 3-4 times more expensive for the same spec hik/dahua camera. The wave vms is not free. Its unclear from the hanwha website if it is free for hanwha cameras but they certainly sell pro licenses on bandh for 100 dollars a pop.

Third. Any false alerts you had on blue iris is due to user error on your part. Not only could blue iris easily be triggered by your cameras AI for years now even if you had dumb cameras with no ai, blue iris has had deepstack integration since march of 2021 and now getting better every day with senseAI. Hell Yeah! Direct Deepstack Integration - 5.4.0 - March 31, 2021 With a $160 dollar I5-8500 desktop you can run many high res cameras with ease.

Last edited:

ryan99alero

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hanwha is a solid brand with a good product, but there are a couple of misrepresentations and misconceptions in your post.

First and foremost - Your cameras are not government approved and they are not inspected for backdoors. Ndaa simply bans certain components from select manufactures. You are under a false sense of security. Many ndaa approved brands have lots of past and likely current vulnerabilities.
Hanwah like EVERY camera manufacture in the past has suffered from vulnerabilities. Thousands of smart cameras were exposed and open to attackers
there is a vulnerability from December 2021. Now certainly hanwha is much more proactive at resolving vulnerabilities but understand that because they are a smaller brand, they have less attempted attacks and there are likely vulnerabilities that are being exploited and not reported. That said, you MUST protect hanwha cameras the same way you would a hikvision camera by not allowing them any direct internet access - you access your network via a vpn and only allow outbound alerts. At this point the cameras have the exact same level of security. You paid extra but gained nothing not to mention domes will result in awful reflection.

Second - price. The hanwah cameras are 3-4 times more expensive for the same spec hik/dahua camera. The wave vms is not free. Its unclear from the hanwha website if it is free for hanwha cameras but they certainly sell pro licenses on bandh for 100 dollars a pop.

Third. Any false alerts you had on blue iris is due to user error on your part. Not only could blue iris easily be triggered by your cameras AI for years now even if you had dumb cameras with no ai, blue iris has had deepstack integration since march of 2021 and now getting better every day with senseAI. Hell Yeah! Direct Deepstack Integration - 5.4.0 - March 31, 2021 With a $160 dollar I5-8500 desktop you can run many high res cameras with ease.
[/QUOTE

FenderMan, You'd think from our past interactions you'd know I'm not a moron. I've played the tweaking games but I also have alot of tree's and one close neighbor fence with dogs but also a narrow passage way for people. With an odd angle so makes setting max / min size of objects hard. Also an area where there is a tarp that moves. Everyone has their requirements. With almost no configuration's I went from 20 camera's with thousands of daily alerts to only the exact alerts I want. I also started running DeepStack but that also added in additional latency and still wasn't as accurate as the edge analytics from Hanwha. I still offload some feeds from the HanWha VMS to DeepStack and CompreFace for facial recognition for Access to house. This was also not just running on a i5. It was running on a HP DL380 Gen9 Server with an Nvidia Server GPU. When watching video streams on 20 camera's on BlueIris you start getting serious lag even with dual or triple streams. Watch for a couple minutes then wave and wait 30+ seconds to see the wave.

In my reference to stating HanWha was government approved I know NDAA doesn't "approve / inspect" all Camera's but they for sure don't approve Hikvision and have listings of several vulnerabilities. I used the term approved as a short for compliance as its more practical in a home use forum as a compliant item is an approved item. I also was told by one of our Customers a military defense contractor that their DOD contacts recommended them the HanWha line as they are used in alot of military installations as one of the preferred brands to use. Axis is another one as well as I'm sure several other brands. We have to keep alot of their product under surveillance. We had Axis Camera's with Senstar Technologies VMS with Compute side analytics. I find the HanWha way more accurate and response then doing a Server side Analytic which is more powerful than a motion based system like BlueIris. Don't get me wrong truthfully BlueIris is probably one of the best home solutions I've seen. The developer is a super great guy who is almost always willing to help. But my personal requirements have outgrown what a person can get for $60.

We each have our own set of requirements for using and having security Camera's. My Hanwha 4k camera at 70 feet with same aspect can read car tags pulling into my driveway. My Hikvision can't do that. The quality of feed at night compared is astronomical. Same with my Axis Camera's. In the end we are all tied to what we can afford or have time for. I also happen to be really good at finding deals. I haven't paid more than $350 for each of my HanWha camera's. All purchased used online either working or damaged as you'd be surprised at the amount of people who don't check if a product is still under warranty. I've sent 4 of my damaged purchased HanWha camera's in for free repair because the original owner didn't think about it or its a business who doesn't care and just buys new.

I spent probably 3 minutes per camera max as HanWha also has a mass deployment process as I'm sure hikvision does as well but it pushes latest firmware and all the hundreds of little settings one may wish to tweak if desired in seconds. I have 6 VLAN's for different traffic. I use a HPE E3800 48 Port Switch, 48 Port midspan and a FortGate 40F gateway. I personally don't use VPN as I use ZTNA for external camera access. To each their own. Also they have an LPR camera / app that is very functional to be alerted with almost 99% accuracy even in almost pitch dark with Tag number that then runs against a rule engine. No tweaking / setup required. Daytime or good lighting required for the Make, Model and color portion to work.

The 4 time prices over hikvision isn't a fair statement if you compare Apples to Apples for AI camera's between the companies. Hikvision has AI camera's as well and they aren't 4 times cheaper than HanWha. At best they are 30-40% cheaper when sold new.

I'm going to assume back to me the OP's actual question posted. The answer is No as I don't recall seeing your response to the actual question asked as isn't that part of the point of a forum? Did I post in the wrong section since you are a staff member? Not to sound rude but this week between personal and work I've posted on over 10 different forums ranging a broad spectrum of subjects. Ranging from minimal info on a question to adding qualifiers to why I purchased what I did to hopefully reduce non answer posts. Guess what only 2 posts had a response posted that had anything to do with the actual question asked. What was posted was a bunch of other peoples statements as to whether what I wanted is in alignment with their own ideology on the subject or brand but not the question. It seems alot take someones question as an attack on them and what they personally believe. I remember the good ole days when you could post a question to a BBS and the majority of responses were on topic. If actual questions aren't welcomed on the forum I guess I can take my question to IPVM.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You certainly did not properly setup blue iris which is unfortunate. If you did you would not have any lag - there are literally thousands of BI users here who do just that myself included. Again my hikvision camera is exactly as secure as your hanwha because it is now allowed access to the internet. If you fail to block internet access your hanwha is more vulnerable than a hik. YOU are the one who brought up blue iris in the OP- My response was directed at the errors and misinformation in your post which I will always do - dont get your panties in a bunch simply because I corrected your mistakes. Also fix your reply so its readable. You included it in the quote. Yes feel free to go to ipvm dont let the door hit you on the way out.