H.264 storage

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a number of cameras that are using H.264. All are set to record direct to disk in Blue Iris. I am trying to understand the storage requirements for H.264. The following information is from a number of different cameras that have 1 hour files, all files are collected in morning between 2:00AM to 3:00AM. All files are in Black and white, the cameras are in IR mode. All cameras are indoors and there is no motion on any of the cameras. All cameras resolutions 1920x1080

Camera 1:
Max bit rate 1024K
Frame Rate: 1
bit rate type: variable
I frame: 300
Quality: not configurable
file size: 592MB

Camera 2:
Max bit rate 1024K
Frame Rate: 1
I frame: 30
Quality: not configurable
file size: 542MB

Camera 3:
Max bit rate 1024K
Frame Rate: 10
I frame: 40
Quality: medium
file size: 378MB

Camera 4:
Max bit rate 3072K
Quality: Higher
file size: 1187MB

Camera 5:
Max bit rate 3072K
Quality: Higher
file size: 1179MB

Notes: camera 1 and Camera 2 are the same camera with a different Iframe value, pointing at the same objects on different days. Cameras 3,4 and 5 are the same type of cameras with the same settings pointing at different objects.

Why is camera 2 with a very high Iframe value have slightly less storage then camera 1? I would expected at least 1/4 the storage amount. I would have expected that a higher IFRAME value with a static picture would create much smaller file. As there is no motion then the B,P frames should be empty.

Why does camera 3 have less storage then cameras 1 and 2 with a much higher frame rate and Iframe value?

Do you think that cameras from different Chinese manufactures have that different implementation of the h.264 compression ?

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out?

I am having a similar issue. Two Dahua cameras, IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and IPC-HDW5431R-ZE, a 2MP and a 4MP. In my 24 hour test, both cameras are putting out identical sized files, 3.9GB every 2 hours 10 minutes.

Both cameras are set up identical except that for the resolutions, 2MP vs 4MP respectively.
Frame rates approach the 15 set, ~14.9.
Bit rates are about the same also, 525-530 kB/s.
BI version: 4.7.8.0 x64
recording direct-to-disk
file format Blue Iris DVR

As I am new to this, what am I missing?

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out?

I am having a similar issue. Two Dahua cameras, IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and IPC-HDW5431R-ZE, a 2MP and a 4MP. In my 24 hour test, both cameras are putting out identical sized files, 3.9GB every 2 hours 10 minutes.

Both cameras are set up identical except that for the resolutions, 2MP vs 4MP respectively.
Frame rates approach the 15 set, ~14.9.
Bit rates are about the same also, 525-530 kB/s.
BI version: 4.7.8.0 x64
recording direct-to-disk
file format Blue Iris DVR

As I am new to this, what am I missing?
What's the problem? Cameras with the same bitrate will produce the same file sizes..

Reaction score
Well, I was expecting that the 4MP camera would produce a file about twice the size of the 2MP camera.

I really do not understand how bit rate, pixel resolution, and frame rate interact. I have tried to find info on that but have not really been successful.

I thought 'frame rate' is the number of camera frames that is transmitted in a second, which makes up the motion in the video. I would expect the frame of a 4MP camera to be roughly twice the size of a 2MP camera. So I expected the file of the 4MP camera to be about twice the size of the 2MP camera.

Never saw anything in the WIKI or Cliff Notes about this. But I may have missed it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I was expecting that the 4MP camera would produce a file about twice the size of the 2MP camera.

I really do not understand how bit rate, pixel resolution, and frame rate interact. I have tried to find info on that but have not really been successful.

I thought 'frame rate' is the number of camera frames that is transmitted in a second, which makes up the motion in the video. I would expect the frame of a 4MP camera to be roughly twice the size of a 2MP camera. So I expected the file of the 4MP camera to be about twice the size of the 2MP camera.

Never saw anything in the WIKI or Cliff Notes about this. But I may have missed it.
all that matters for storage is the bitrate...nothing else.