GV-EYE with Geovision NVR - any way to get less compression to mobile devices?

Reaction score
Viewed with internet explorer or geovision's remote viewer looks great, on the NVR looks great. On the Samsung S5 it looks awful. I thought it might be adapting to the network speed, so I disabled mobile data on my phone and turned on wifi and had it sitting on top of the router, ASUS RT66 which is pretty good - more than enough for a single 4 or 8 mbps cam stream, but still compressed to youtube 160pish quality.

Before making a fool of myself I searched the forum for "gv-eye" and saw no results, so I figured I'd ask. If I am missing something really silly and obvious feel free to smack me over the head with a wet tuna.

I notice that more and more systems are starting to allow high quality streaming, where what you see on the phone can actually be zoomed in on and is comparable quality to the stream that the camera actually broadcasts. I am hoping GeoVision isn't behind on my feature - it is one of my favorite NVRs for its browsing interface.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@l.a.rossmann Generally NVR's can send at least two different streams to the mobile device. The resolution of the primary stream and substream can be set in the NVR...the mobile device then allows to to connect to the stream of your choice.
Never used gv-eye, but according to the manual there is an option in the app to choose the stream.
http://www.geovision.com.tw/upload/en/mobileap/GV-EyeV21.pdf See page 15.
Look for the substream setting in the NVR and set the substream to a higher resolution and bit rate as you probably still want to use the substream for mobile devices.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Now it makes sense. The buttons they show on the screen in that manual don't exist in the Android app. Even most of the buttons on the GV-EYE android app don't exist on the actual android app! http://www.geovision.com.tw/upload/en/mobileap/GV-Eye_AndroidV130.pdf :( Just bastardized version of the iOS app I guess. Oh well.

Thanks!
See page 8 of the android manual you linked to. It seems you can still change the stream. Regardless, you should be able to adjust the substream in the NVR itself so that its better than what you are getting now.

Reaction score
Page 8 is full of lies. :( None of those buttons exist. I'll email geovision and see what they say.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
So when they updated the app they made it worse. :) Lovely. :) Time to try and find an apk for the older proper app.