Guy checking for unlocked cars

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I have had cameras for about 2 years now. This is the 4th time I have captured someone checking my truck in the driveway to see if it is unlocked. This is at 10 A.M. I guess at a time when a lot of people are at work? I know I'm not the only one but this is getting ridiculous. I have my cameras registered with the local police department so they come by and get the videos and are always impressed by the quality (this is a Hikvision 4mp turret by the way). Hopefully sooner or later one of these assholes will get busted. Within 10 minutes of the time of this video a neighbor on the adjoining street had someone go into their open garage, go into their utility room and steal her purse, coincidence? I doubt it.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, hopefully this guy will get busted. And hopefully he'll get charged with all the thefts in your area. I have no passion for these idiots. Too bad you couldn't get the license number of his car.

Thank goodness for video surveillance.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, hopefully this guy will get busted. And hopefully he'll get charged with all the thefts in your area. I have no passion for these idiots. Too bad you couldn't get the license number of his car.

Thank goodness for video surveillance.
Video surveillance which failed to produce a IDable face or license plate.

Reaction score
I have had cameras for about 2 years now. This is the 4th time I have captured someone checking my truck in the driveway to see if it is unlocked. This is at 10 A.M. I guess at a time when a lot of people are at work? I know I'm not the only one but this is getting ridiculous. I have my cameras registered with the local police department so they come by and get the videos and are always impressed by the quality (this is a Hikvision 4mp turret by the way). Hopefully sooner or later one of these assholes will get busted. Within 10 minutes of the time of this video a neighbor on the adjoining street had someone go into their open garage, go into their utility room and steal her purse, coincidence? I doubt it.

Are you sure you aren't living in my neighborhood?? lol.. sounds pretty similar to the bs that has been happening here, and I live in a small country town!. Really impressed with the quality, those are the exact cameras I just ordered.. can't wait to get them installed as I know I'll be getting similar action on them.

2 attempts at my truck getting stolen not too long ago, I managed to stop one of those 2 in the act... I had no sooner pulled in the driveway at 12am, went inside only to realize I forgot my wallet... come back out and theres a guy trying my doors!!

I managed to get ahold of him and hold him down till the cops came. Only 17 years old.

And of course there have been the B&E's of homes and outbuildings.. vehicle thefts in the area etc. It's only a matter of time before a homeowner seriously injures one of these idiots..

How do you find these to be with ambient light? Or with no light at all?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
@SmallTownCanadian this is a 2.8mm by the way, a 4mm would have have been better for id but wouldn't cover as much of my short driveway. These ip cams are addictive though so I could add a 4mm at some point. I started out with 2 cams, now I'm up to 7. As far as night time I wasn't entirely pleased but I put up an external IR light and things look much better at night now.

Last edited by a moderator:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd consider something more like a 12mm (maybe even bigger) on the other side of the garage at an angle to try to grab license plates. A modified mailbox could also conceal a plate cam.

I wonder if he ran because he spotted your cameras, if somebody's going around trying doors over and over you'd expect them walk calmly unless they're being chased.

Reaction score
@SmallTownCanadian this is a 2.8mm by the way, a 4mm would have have been better for id but wouldn't cover as much of my short driveway. These ip cams are addictive though so I could add a 4mm at some point. I started out with 2 cams, now I'm up to 7. As far as night time I wasn't entirely pleased but I put up an external IR light and things look much better at night now.
I've got a mixed bag of 2.8 and 4mm lens cameras. That was hands down the hardest part for me... picking a proper lens for each location, even then I likely won't have gotten it right!.
I saw a few samples on YouTube of this camera and it really didn't take much extra lighting from complete darkness to make a substantial difference in the picture quality. All in all it looked very crisp and even if it doesn't capture a face or a plate it will definitely act as act deterrent to these little shits..

Last edited by a moderator:

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would force cops to get print off handle...they will do it but have to be firm..its bs to think not worth trouble..same thing my neighbor hood..some stolen some got into garage one stolen..not minor stuff..

Yup mine hik dome 4mp..2.8..yes better pic with 4 mm or higher..but first cam so it worked..and once seen cam left..and stopped car in street..made them get print from there..cops then knew when and to bm ...and probably stopped them from completing rest of street
obviously screen shot from ipad not so good but vid good when he looked at cam

Attachments

Reaction score
I'd consider something more like a 12mm (maybe even bigger) on the other side of the garage at an angle to try to grab license plates. A modified mailbox could also conceal a plate cam.

I wonder if he ran because he spotted your cameras, if somebody's going around trying doors over and over you'd expect them walk calmly unless they're being chased.
It sure looked as though he noticed the camera! Was staring right at it haha

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would force cops to get print off handle...they will do it but have to be firm..its bs to think not worth trouble..same thing my neighbor hood..some stolen some got into garage one stolen..not minor stuff..

Yup mine hik dome 4mp..2.8..yes better pic with 4 mm or higher..but first cam so it worked..and once seen cam left..and stopped car in street..made them get print from there..cops then knew when and to bm ...and probably stopped them from completing rest of street
obviously screen shot from ipad not so good but vid good when he looked at cam
He's probably going after you Honda Ridgeline RTL. I recognize it because I have the same model and trim level. Nice truck!

Anyway, I'm glad things turned out good (so far). The cameras paid for themselves by making the crooks realize that they are being recorded.