Guy breaking into my car last night...

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
I wish I had gotten better video... I already cut the tree back and I am looking into additional IR leds...

And yes, it was unlocked, the wife drove my car last night and forgot to lock it when she got home. Luckily I didn't have anything valuable to take.

and

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That actually looks like very good night video...it's just the tree is in the way and it looks like the lens is insufficient to capture a recognizable face.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Gunnerdog. It's always disturbing to see video of some lowlife helping themselves to someone's stuff...

stevejay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More confirmation of a long-held bias of mine: Whenever I see an unfamiliar guy strolling around the neighborhood at odd hours (or any hour, for that matter) wearing a flipping BACKPACK, it is always a red flag to me. I can't help it. If I see them on my cameras, I always keep watching. If you look at YouTube videos of residential thieves and burglars on surveillance cameras, it's like a backpack is part of their standard uniform. Yes, there are a few innocent reasons why somebody might need to be strolling around on foot among houses and yards with a big backpack strapped on. Maybe he's a neighbor kid who's well-known for carrying his books home from school, etc. But if it's a stranger, he's a suspicious person every time, far as I'm concerned. The backpack is the giveaway. Just my personal (paranoid) opinion.

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
I like the camera, 3mp hikvision exit turret, but you are right, it doesn't have the lense for facial recognition. It was designed for keeping track of my son and his nanny... capturing a thief in progress was incidental.

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
They hit every car on the street that wasn't locked. Made off with some good loot, a wallet and a few Ipads and laptops. Makes the blood boil, that's for sure. My wife drove my car that day and forgot to lock it........ luckily I didn't have anything worth stealing.

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had cameras for 3 years and this is the first time I have captured anything other than the neighbors cat or the occasional racoon.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems to happen to most of us sooner or later. There is basically no avoiding it.

Sometimes I think all of us IP camera owners should pack up and move to the same neighborhood. The low-lifes wouldn't stand a chance!

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm one of 3 houses with cameras (that I know of). One other guy captured some video of the same guy setting off his car alarm, worse quality video (older Foscam box camera) but it captured an accomplice standing out in the street. looks like a girl in a pink shirt. The people in the 3rd house with cameras are on vacation. I don't know if they captured anything yet. We sent all of our video to the police, although they seemed less eager to find this guy than I am. I'm thinking of sending the video to the local news too... he seems to have a distinctive walk, maybe someone would recognize him and rat him out.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I posted my break in capture to the local Facebook "remember when" group. His parole officer recognized him within 2 hours at which time I deleted the post.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great footage! It just Sucks for folks that forget to lock their vehicles. Makes it so easy for a$$ holes!

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a clip of a truck that stopped infront of my house one morning. They shut off their lights, the passenger gets out and checks the doors, then he checks my snug lid. Luckily, everything was locked. This was one of the first Dahua 1.3mp ball domes that I had left over from a job. i've since upgraded to all HikVision 3mp Turrets. I just happened to be chcking my motion detection settings. I have been looking for this truck also.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Definitely a nice capture, lucky he wasn't able to take anything of value.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We had a lot of problems like this in my neighbourhood. Interestingly since I installed cameras it hasn't happened once. Which is annoying as I'd love to be able to supply footage to the local police.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of my recent installs led to a lady being charged with harassment. She followed one of my neighbors daughters to the house because she felt she cut her off and had some words with her from the sidewalk. My cameras caught them following her down our street, then his cameras recorded the entire situation.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My current cameras, (I just bought a QSee 3MP kit) have a similar night image quality, but if all they show is a clear yard and not a clear face when needed, they are not of much value to me.

So if a 3MP Hikvision camera, (a brand that appears to have a lot of favor on this site for quality) is not sufficient for capturing facial details, what brand/ type of camera would do the job of proper facial recognition at a reasonable distance?

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
It is not a matter of camera brand, it's a matter of lense selection. The goal of my cameras is to make sure my nanny was taking care of my son properly during the day when I am at work. I am looking for gross actions not facial recognition. I went with a broad lense to cover the entire driveway and front yard.

I would need a camera with a narrow lense at head height pointed at the drivers side door of my car to get a good facial capture in this case. But if the thief used the passenger door I would be a SOL.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
It the exposure speed that matters, shorter the exposure the better facial features. So for the camera to see better at night, the exposure is longer and anything that moves in longer exposure seem more blurry. That one reason why yards or parked cars/trucks look great since it not in motion.

But if you decrease your exposure for a better shot then the image will go darker and you will need more power IR or light to compensate however it should give you a better images on objects or person in motion. Does your QSee have exposure setting or some camera call it moonlight setting? If that camera is in a well lit area then try adjusting it by decreasing the exposure number or disabling moonlight.

Bill