Gt1030 to help offload CPU?

crespoh69

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got an older i3 PC tower from work to install BI on but noticed that the CPU spikes a bit and I'm wondering if that'll cause any missed footage in the future. That being said, work also has some spare GeForce GT 1030's laying around, would that help at all or would the software still use the CPU vs the GPU?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah 1030 isnt a bad card. It'll do some work.
1030 looks to be a low profile, low power draw variant for SFF type situations.
Can't hurt to try it.
I'm messing around with a 1060 and it works for exactly that.

crespoh69

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah 1030 isnt a bad card. It'll do some work.
1030 looks to be a low profile, low power draw variant for SFF type situations.
Can't hurt to try it.
I'm messing around with a 1060 and it works for exactly that.
Any special settings or guides I have to follow or do I just install regular drivers in Windows and let it do it's thing?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Start out with what windows senses as a default driver, and see how BI behaves.
If you go to Nvidia's site im sure you'll have options, but some load up more software and may use a few more resources than a standard driver.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The AI software will generally use the CPU when performing tasks such as object recognition and image classification. However, if there are any GPU accelerated components within the AI software, then adding a GeForce GT 1030 may help to improve the performance of those tasks that can take advantage of the GPU. However, depending on the specific AI software you’re using, it’s possible that adding a GPU may not have any impact on the performance of the AI software. It would be best to check with the software provider for more information.
I have a GT 1030. I just switched over to CodeProject and tried the CPU only module. I was getting response times between 1 and 2.5 seconds. I tried the GPU module and that dropped the response time by a factor of about 8 to around 320ms-340ms.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got an older i3 PC tower from work to install BI on but noticed that the CPU spikes a bit and I'm wondering if that'll cause any missed footage in the future. That being said, work also has some spare GeForce GT 1030's laying around, would that help at all or would the software still use the CPU vs the GPU?
Have you performed each of the steps here: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
Including this: Sub Stream Guide | IP Cam Talk

Also be sure to perform a fresh clean install of windows, by using the MS Media Creation tool.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The AI software will generally use the CPU when performing tasks such as object recognition and image classification. However, if there are any GPU accelerated components within the AI software, then adding a GeForce GT 1030 may help to improve the performance of those tasks that can take advantage of the GPU. However, depending on the specific AI software you’re using, it’s possible that adding a GPU may not have any impact on the performance of the AI software. It would be best to check with the software provider for more information.
AI BOT. Photo is of Charlie Friedman on twitter.

1684798200539.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If it’s free then I’d be inclined to plug it in on the basis of what’s the worst that can happen

Jeez, wish my work would hand out GPUs as my system could also do with one but the best I can expect is a Congrats PDF which I have to bloody print out myself!