GS-1900 switch problem

anon71

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just received my Zyxel GS-1900 switch, and I seemed to have successfully changed its IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.7. More details on the computer below, but it was not connected to my main router by an ethernet cable - it was only connected wirelessly. I followed the steps below to the letter, which worked fine until step #10. When I switched the Ethernet port from static back to dynamic and turned on the WIFI, I could no longer access the switch IP address. When the ethernet port has the static address, I can access it both when I have wifi disabled and enabled. Any idea what is going on?

My main router IP address is 192.168.1.254, and its DHCP range is 64-153. When I access my router's home page on my other computer, I do not see anything that has a conflicting 192.168.1.7 ip address. I have a second router (Linksys E1200, ip address 192.168.1.1), but this is only an access point and is not handing out IP addresses. Also, my computer is not connecting wirelessly to the second router.

The computer in question is a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 Home if that helps. Here are the set-up steps I followed from elsewhere on the net:

0. Do not connect this switch to your network until you change the default IP address. Power it on and run an Ethernet cable only from it to a computer. 1. Configure the computer to use a static IP address for the the wired Ethernet port and connect it to the switch using a network cable. (To do this in Windows, go to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network Connections, Ethernet, Properties, Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP/V4), Properties, and change from "obtain IP address to automatically" to "use the following IP address" of 192.168.1.200, subnet 255.255.255.0), disable WiFi if you're connected to a wireless network 2. In web browser, browse to the switch config page at 192.168.1.1 and log on (username: admin, password: 1234) 3. Click on the "gears icon" on the left side of the page to get to the configuration page 4. For the tab "IP v4 Address" change it from 192.168.1.1 to something like 192.168.1.2 5. Click the "Apply" button 6. IMPORTANT: Now browse to the new IP address of 192.168.1.2, log in again, go the the IP config screen again 7. IMPORTANT: Click the "Save" link in the upper right hand corner of the menu bar. The config changes you made will now be saved to permanent memory. 8. The IP address should now be both applied and saved. Unplug power from the switch and plug it back in to test that the change is permanent by browsing to 192.168.1.2 again 9. Switch can now be connected to your home network 10. Reset the changes to your wired Ethernet port settings on your computer. 11. For all other changes you make, be sure to click the "save" link in the menu bar or they will not persist through reboots.

EDIT: This is a temporary set-up that will allow me to test cameras once I order them. Once I get the cameras permanently installed, I won't be using wifi on this computer, and even when I test cameras, I'll disable the wifi and have my router properly cabled to the switch. Nevertheless, the fact that I am having this problem now might mean I'll have others later.

Thanks

Last edited:

anon71

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am having trouble with that, too. The router, which is an Arris NVG589, allows me to assign a static IP address to a device, but I do not see the switch appear on the device list. The PC does appear on the device list, but I'm assuming that's not what I am assigning a static IP. I've plugged it and unplugged it from the ethernet port, and I see no difference in the list of connected devices when I refresh it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am having trouble with that, too. The router, which is an Arris NVG589, allows me to assign a static IP address to a device, but I do not see the switch appear on the device list. The PC does appear on the device list, but I'm assuming that's not what I am assigning a static IP. I've plugged it and unplugged it from the ethernet port, and I see no difference in the list of connected devices when I refresh it.
Likely because (generally) a device list in most routers consist of IP's assigned by the router via DHCP; therefore, a static IP won't show up in the router's device list.

I use 'Advanced IP Scanner'...great tool. And mobile, try Fing for iOS or Android..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
what is the ip address of the pc?
unrelated but important, you must change the POE mode on the switch to consumption mode from the default classification mode or it wont power more than 4 cams.

anon71

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
what is the ip address of the pc?
unrelated but important, you must change the POE mode on the switch to consumption mode from the default classification mode or it wont power more than 4 cams.
The PC's ip address is 192.168.1.140.

anon71

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Likely because (generally) a device list in most routers consist of IP's assigned by the router via DHCP; therefore, a static IP won't show up in the router's device list.

I use 'Advanced IP Scanner'...great tool. And mobile, try Fing for iOS or Android..
Thanks - I just tried that with the ethernet port set to dynamic ip, but I still do not see the switch. If I drill down on the ethernet port connection, I see the autoconfig IPv4 address as 169.254.49.123, with IP v4 subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, if that's any help.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
see the autoconfig IPv4 address as 169.254.49.123, with IP v4 subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, if that's any help.
The 169.254.x.x range of IP addresses is reserved by Microsoft for private network addressing. If you have a pc set to automatically obtain an IP and you receive one of these addresses, Windows has assigned this because it cannot find a DHCP server within the network subnet.

anon71

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 169.254.x.x range of IP addresses is reserved by Microsoft for private network addressing. If you have a pc set to automatically obtain an IP and you receive one of these addresses, Windows has assigned this because it cannot find a DHCP server within the network subnet.
So, is that the reason I can't find the switch? Because the Ethernet port never connects in any way to the router? Is that the source of the problem then or just a symptom? I'm really puzzled. I just bought this computer refurbished specifically for the switch and Blue Iris, and it is a clean install of Windows 10, fully updated, on a new SSD drive. I've not messed with the network settings on this computer in any way other than following the instructions for changing the static IP address for the switch, which was pretty straightforward.

anon71

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The second router should be in AP mode - it is flashed with DD-WRT. I did try unplugging that router from my main router, but the problem remains.

Other things I tried yesterday:

-disabling the firewall and antivirus on the computer
-updating the drivers for Ethernet port and the wireless adapter
-swearing at the computer

One thing I have not tried yet is updating the firmware for the switch, mainly because I can't figure out which download link to click. On the page below, under the "download" column, there are two separate buttons for the latest firmware. It's unclear why there are two (the "OS" column is blank, so they may be identical), but I'm not eager to add a bricked switch to my current problem!

Download Library - GS1900-8HP | ZyXEL

Last edited: