Green event markers with non Hikvision cams

Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for reading this post.

NVR Model: DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P /A
Firmware: 3.4.101 Build 181024

I have two Hikvision cams. Green event markers are being shown on the blue bar during playback for these so I can quickly review events. Anyone with a Hikvision NVR knows how useful the green event markers are on the timeline.

I have just come into possession of a H.View PTZ dome camera.

No matter what I do I cannot get any green event / motion indicators on my timeline for this H.View camera.

The H.View camera is generating ONIF event signals. When I view the image using the web interface and move my hand over the camera motion is definitely detected.

QUESTION: Do Hikvision cameras use a special setting or technique to send this motion detection information from the camera to the NVR?

Have any Hikvision NVR owners managed to get the green motion detection indicators on the timeline with any other brand (non-Hikvision) cameras?

I posted a similar question 4 years ago when I bought a cheap Chinese PIR spy camera which also generated ONIF events but would not show the green motion bars on the time line. I thought this might have been because that camera was only £40 but my H.View was almost £300 and is a much better quality camera.

It would be great to hear from any Hikvision NVR owners who have managed to get these green motion indicators on their timeline with other brands of camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No matter what I do I cannot get any green event / motion indicators on my timeline for this H.View camera.
After having used a good number of 3rd party cameras on Hikvision NVRs, I've never seen a non-Hikvision (or non-Hikvision-OEM) camera produce motion markers on a continuous playback timeline.

QUESTION: Do Hikvision cameras use a special setting or technique to send this motion detection information from the camera to the NVR?
They use a part of the extensive Hikvision API that the 3rd party cameras don't support.

edit However - given that the 3rd party camera is creating ONVIF event notifications - iVMS4200 can be queried for motion events on a continuous timeline.
That can be an effective workaround.
The current version of iVMS4200 isn't too bad - it's much improved over where it started,.

Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Alastair. I thought that might be the case.

It is such a shame because using the Web interface direct to the H.View camera I can see all of the motion detection and the events being generated. It's a shame this information is not being overlaid onto the blue timeline. Obviously Hikvision do this to force you to buy their own cameras which I suppose is understandable. I am just amazed a competitor hasn't figured out a way to do this as they would get quite a few additional sales.

Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
Hoping to get a few more comments about the green (or red?) motion detection bars that appear when you are playing back footage on the Hikvision NVR.

Does anyone know a workaround or nice hack that means you can use a non-Hikvision camera and still get the motion indicators on the playback timeline?