Grayscale videos after DVR replacement

figge4

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

After a switch of DVR (from an older Hikvision DS-7216-HWI-SH/A ) to a brand new DVR (another chinese model ) - all 16 but 3 attached cameras become black/white with interfering diagonal lines.

Channels set to Auto video-mode (also tried the different modes manually with same result)

All cameras look ok/with color when tested over same cables individually with a test instrument. Cameras are of 3 different brands and around 15 yrs old is my guess.

Have tried with one more new DVR and same result.
At replacement we also switched central psu for all cameras to a new one.

Anyone experienced the same issue?

If it has something to do with bad cabling, the Hikvision DVR might have better filter/video amplifier than newer DVRs (?)

Any ideas?

Attachments

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have seen the black/white symptom when the analog camera's video signal mode (NTSC/PAL) did not match the DVR's video input setting. But you mentioned your new DVR has an Auto Video Mode, so I assume that means it would configure each video channel's NTSC/PAL setting for you.

So something else must be going on, but still worth further investigating the DVR's NTSC/PAL settings to make sure its video inputs are correctly setup to match each camera's video output mode. And keep in mind you may have a mix of PAL and NTSC cameras, something that often happens especially if they were purchased at different times or from different vendors.

- Thomas

figge4

n3wb
Reaction score
[
I have seen the black/white symptom when the analog camera's video signal mode (NTSC/PAL) did not match the DVR's video input setting. But you mentioned your new DVR has an Auto Video Mode, so I assume that means it would configure each video channel's NTSC/PAL setting for you.

So something else must be going on, but still worth further investigating the DVR's NTSC/PAL settings to make sure its video inputs are correctly setup to match each camera's video output mode. And keep in mind you may have a mix of PAL and NTSC cameras, something that often happens especially if they were purchased at different times or from different vendors.

- Thomas
Thank you!
That’s one of few settings I’ve still not tried - will check for sure!

Attachments

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking at the IMG_5982 video, I would say that it is an NTSC camera and the DVR's cam input channel setting is configured for PAL video. This best guess is based on the "fat" aspect ratio and missing color.

- Thomas