Good way to save space on nvr

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got an nvr that I am going to put a 4tb hard drive in on friday from a 1tb hard drive. The old hard drive will only hold 2 days worth of video on 15 digital cameras. I was going to do motion sensor recording but I'm afraid I am going to miss something. I'll probably leave the outside on motion plus scheduled recording and inside on motion only

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Create a schedule that you are recording both constant and motion both at the same time. Than, for constant record, set it at 5fps and motion for 15fps. This way, it's impossible to miss anything and your saving hdd space.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. How do you do different fps on Dahua NVRs

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how much space it actually saves reducing frame rate? You also need to reduce bit rate, and you can't just reduce bit rate to 1/3 just because you reduced frame rate to 1/3 and expect the same quality.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I got an nvr that I am going to put a 4tb hard drive in on friday from a 1tb hard drive. The old hard drive will only hold 2 days worth of video on 15 digital cameras. I was going to do motion sensor recording but I'm afraid I am going to miss something. I'll probably leave the outside on motion plus scheduled recording and inside on motion only
Keep indoor cameras on motion only. For exterior cameras, you can experiment with longer pre-record times and shrink down your detection zone to a more reliable distance for cameras where this makes sense. But I think it's always better to max out hard drive capacity first, rather than just trying to cut down on recording to an undersized drive alone.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In scheduling, you enable constant and motion. Than in encoding, you enter 5fps in constant, and 15fps in motion.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So settings like this to record cam to ftp server?

Video Settings.jpeg