Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I AM AN IDIOT
I AM AN IDIOT
I AM AN IDIOT
I AM AN IDIOT
I AM AN IDIOT

I'm replacing a faulty cam that used the same cat6 cable with this new HDW5231R-ZE.

The old one drew power from by using baluns at each end and a power supply inside the house.

Foolishly I failed to disconnect the inside my house end of the cable either from the power supply or the CCTV unit, (not the PC running Blue Iris).

I started the job by terminating a new RJ45 outside and mounted the camera. Damage was done.

After terminating inside, the camera is dead.

Is it going to be totally caput or could I just have blown a capacitor or the likes?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Ouch, that doesn't sound good. I can relate to doing something like that and wanting to kick myself saying "what was I thinking?".

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No not good, found a hard reset button inside but still not working. I want to cry, it was the easiest job ever then I wasted 2 hours diagnosing before realising. Now I've wasted 2 hours googling.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You could try powering the camera via its 12v DC jack instead of PoE (a PoE splitter will help accomplish this without running a separate power cable). I've had cameras before where that works.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I attempting to use a 12v power supply and direct to my pc now but now luck, it seems the problem is not power. Perhaps I sent power from the baluns to something that couldn't handle it.

It had the green light inside after my mistake.

Using the 12v supply, again it has the green light inside.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you know it's not working? Take the camera down and test with a short premade Cable...

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do you know it's not working? Take the camera down and test with a short premade Cable...
Thanks fenderman,

Yeah that last test was with camera down in the lounge just as with my bench test prior to installing.

However I must agree my 12v plug in power supply was not the correct one. But it did not work on poe.

Although it had an internal green led with either poe or 12v plug in, it may not have been getting the correct power supply.

@EmpireTEAndy to the rescue though, it contacted him directly and he agreed to fix it so I have returned it to him this afternoon.

That makes a quality customer service at £12.95 from UK he is as convenient as local suppliers.

Thank you all for your help so far. It is appreciated.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Although it had an internal green led with either poe or 12v plug in, it may not have been getting the correct power supply.
Hold the reset button while you connect power. Continue holding for 1 full minute. If no joy (allow 60 seconds for camera to come online at default IP address), try again holding the reset button for 3 minutes.
Try with PoE and 12V stop if any attempts are successful.

Which wires in the cable were connected to the old Balun / power? I doesn't sound like this is the case, but if you were really lucky you'd have popped a fuse in the old system when you were re-terminating the cable and there would have been no damage.