Good choice for a porch view?

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m currently running several IPC-HDW5442T-ZE cameras and are connected to a NVR5216-4KS2. One old Foscam is integrated into the mix at the front door. (Pictured below)
Now that I realize the importance/usefulness of SMD vs. basic motion detection - I want to upgrade.
However, I think a fixed-focus will work fine here. Hoping someone has ideas on a more appropriate Dahua camera with ‘smarts’, but less overkill on other features.
I looked over several sources, but choices are overwhelming. Thank you.
C6BFDFA5-34E9-44E2-BA1C-DD8E8EE5FC66.pngC6BFDFA5-34E9-44E2-BA1C-DD8E8EE5FC66.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m currently running several IPC-HDW5442T-ZE cameras and are connected to a NVR5216-4KS2. One old Foscam is integrated into the mix at the front door. (Pictured below)
Now that I realize the importance/usefulness of SMD vs. basic motion detection - I want to upgrade.
However, I think a fixed-focus will work fine here. Hoping someone has ideas on a more appropriate Dahua camera with ‘smarts’, but less overkill on other features.
I looked over several sources, but choices are overwhelming. Thank you.
View attachment 82267View attachment 82267
HI @Sam Hall

What is the goal? To watch for package drops?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea agree with mat200 if this is for package drop it be fine. But if you are trying to achieve who is dropping those packages then I hope you have another cam for that or bring this cam location at reasonable height.

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I should have added that I do plan to reduce the height as well - yes, good point.
And the goal is to receive intelligent alerts when packages are dropped, or someone rings the doorbell - we can see who's there / what's there, etc.
Simple motion sensing made that goal impractical.
Even better- a camera with a smaller size/profile here.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Depending on lighting conditions at night have a look at this one. Mounted down at seven, or even six, feet it'll give excellent coverage for both and is a little smaller than a 5442 I beieve. One lens pointing down for packages and pointing, more or less, straight out for facial recognition.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have three outside cameras for my front door. One at the doorbell height pointing out. One pointing down at the package drop area. One at the over hang point back at the door, the over hang is about 6 ft back from the door. I also have an inside camera point at the front door.

If i had that front entrance setup I would mount a camera on the white column about 5 ft up point at the door. Your current camera looks good for the package drop area. Add a camera at the door bell ( i do not use a door bell specific camera).

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I Have about 4 cams as well by front door if I consider ring door bell lol.

Anyhow One for as they walk in one at 3 ft height to get facial shot one looking down for packages and another one is Ring door bell.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely reconsider that install location @Sam Hall not only will that primary get head shots only BUT if you do rely on it at night and use IR you will get a fair amount of splash back / washout. Would consider a 3/4 profile shot mounted to the right side of the door etc, can still remain a 'little' high but angle slightly down for best results. Then as @SouthernYankee mentioned, most of us run another cam to provide cross coverage from the left hand side too, whether thats front of house or further along a porch (can't tell what you have available from that sharp angle). Just my 2c

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depending on lighting conditions at night have a look at this one. Mounted down at seven, or even six, feet it'll give excellent coverage for both and is a little smaller than a 5442 I beieve. One lens pointing down for packages and pointing, more or less, straight out for facial recognition.

I’ve seen that one. Excellent suggestion. Thank you!

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Definitely reconsider that install location @Sam Hall not only will that primary get head shots only BUT if you do rely on it at night and use IR you will get a fair amount of splash back / washout. Would consider a 3/4 profile shot mounted to the right side of the door etc, can still remain a 'little' high but angle slightly down for best results. Then as @SouthernYankee mentioned, most of us run another cam to provide cross coverage from the left hand side too, whether thats front of house or further along a porch (can't tell what you have available from that sharp angle). Just my 2c
All other cameras are Dahua/current and I’m continuing to add. The front entrance is covered by this one.
F5ED71D0-11F6-4CA0-8711-EF6D0F8FDA53.pngF5ED71D0-11F6-4CA0-8711-EF6D0F8FDA53.png

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks for sharing the pic. As I mentioned definitely change that FOV on the porch cam to a 3/4 angle or you can use a dual lens cam, up to you depending on what you want to achieve with what quality etc. Here to help if you need it and if you need any assistance dialing it or others in, just reach out

All other cameras are Dahua/current and I’m continuing to add. The front entrance is covered by this one.
View attachment 82328View attachment 82328

Reaction score
My front porch faces South but there are trees in the yard. I get a lot of sun and it varies in angle and intensity based on time of year and time of day. So due to the sun hitting at those different angles/times, I have six cams covering my front porch/door. Two on each side of the door, one facing back towards the door, and one looking across the porch from the driveway. Every single cam is positioned to get as good a face shot as possible. I see no reason to point a cam looking down from way overhead at the ground. It will never tell you anything of interest about a perp on your porch.

Here is a night shot of those cams.

Porch night view.JPG

The thread below goes into detail about cam placement/planning and why multiple views are important.

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Appreciate all the fast input. I knew that angle was not ideal - it was left over from years ago and was surprised it was usable on the new setup. Now to run CAT-5e in the attic before it gets hot.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Appreciate all the fast input. I knew that angle was not ideal - it was left over from years ago and was surprised it was usable on the new setup. Now to run CAT-5e in the attic before it gets hot.
Consider throwing CAT6 in the mix instead, run once, don't regret it later :)

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Consider throwing CAT6 in the mix instead, run once, don't regret it later :)
I knew someone was going to say that. And for networking in general I would agree.
However, for IP cameras I could not find evidence of benefits for 6. 1000Mbps is plenty for a camera, and 5e is easier to 'fish' / less bulky. The one CAT 6 cable I do have was harder to run, and more difficult to terminate.
Your mileage may vary.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
hahah. We aim to please !

Monoprice CAT 6 reels are a great choice if you decide to go that way. Yes 5e is easier to fish but termination once you get it down is not difficult on 6. Bulkier yes but for good reason with decent quality cable and en transmission is optimal.

Your call, just looking out for you in terms of future needs, run once run right and minimizing your attic runs ;)

Either way you’ll end up with a new run and a new cam to expand your system and cover a critical area, nothing wrong with that.

Enjoy and reach out with any questions !

I knew someone was going to say that. And for networking in general I would agree.
However, for IP cameras I could not find evidence of benefits for 6. 1000Mbps is plenty for a camera, and 5e is easier to 'fish' / less bulky. The one CAT 6 cable I do have was harder to run, and more difficult to terminate.
Your mileage may vary.

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Curious to know if you own one of these?
I purchased one from Andy, but am finding it appears to be limited in IVS options - will not recognize rules such as 'abandoned object'. Nor does it support SMR, which I did not realize. For all the success I've had so far with Dahua and Andy, this may be a costly mistake.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Curious to know if you own one of these?
I purchased one from Andy, but am finding it appears to be limited in IVS options - will not recognize rules such as 'abandoned object'. Nor does it support SMR, which I did not realize. For all the success I've had so far with Dahua and Andy, this may be a costly mistake.
I have two of these dual cams. Yes they are not as robust and IVS only works on one cam at a time - certainly could have benefited with a better CPU to accommodate essentially two cameras. Motion detection does work though.

They work in my intended location though as overview cams - one on opposite corners of the house and I can see all 4 sides for an overview, but then have other cameras for pinch points and ID purposes. Would be nice if IVS worked in both or human AI to aid with spotter cams for a PTZ, but they make good overview cams nonetheless.

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have two of these dual cams. Yes they are not as robust and IVS only works on one cam at a time - certainly could have benefited with a better CPU to accommodate essentially two cameras. Motion detection does work though.

They work in my intended location though as overview cams - one on opposite corners of the house and I can see all 4 sides for an overview, but then have other cameras for pinch points and ID purposes. Would be nice if IVS worked in both or human AI to aid with spotter cams for a PTZ, but they make good overview cams nonetheless.
UPDATE: After factory reset and being careful to NOT apply IVS rules to more than one of the 2 cameras, I was able to successfully run IVS rules. This camera's features are highly misrepresented IMHO. But I'll be able to work around it's limitations.

Last edited: