Good alternatives to Dahua cameras.

JulieD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One of my Dahua cameras (of 5) had that issue; kept mucking up the ip, I'd reset, mucked up ip, repeat… got my network tester out and even though I thought I had checked the Ethernet wire when I installed the camera the trouble was one of the rj45 connectors had two wires swapped. Took the end off and re-did it and problem solved. Probably forgot to test it the first time— it was the last one I put up and was probably tired.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This camera is better than any Dahua / hikvision model when using IR

AXIS P1468-LE

Varifocal, IR, 4K, 1/1.2" sensor

Maybe you find them for cheap :p:p:p
So at first glance, a varifocal on a 1/1.2" sensor at 8MP with infrared sounds incredible and not something offered by Dahua or Hikvision.

Then I look at the specs and see this:

Min illumination/ light sensitivity (Color)0.07 lux
Min illumination/ light sensitivity (B/W)0 lux

0.07 LUX absolutely sucks for a camera. So the question is under what setup did they use to come to that number?

Regarding minimum illumination, I personally don't pay attention to the minimum illumination specs...because those are under ideal situations with so many factors not known.

Almost every camera will say 0 LUX with infrared on, and we all know how poorly Reolinks perform at night in low light yet that is their spec....or even two different good cameras. The 5442 4MP2.8mm fixed lens camera will beat the socks off the 5241 2MP 2.8mm fixed lens and they both say 0 Lux with IR on.

Once upon a time manufacturers would at least say at what shutter speed that rating was based on. Most would say a 1/3 shutter. That is way to slow for anything. You need to run minimum 1/60 shutter to start to minimize blur.

But now they don't even provide that, so in most cases it is a wide open iris, slowest shutter the camera allows, and gain and brightness cranked to 100 so that they can get the lowest illumination number possible.

But nobody would run the camera in that configuration.

Some of the older cameras would give these kind of specs so you knew how the camera was setup to come up with the minimum illumination.

0.002Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.020Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F1.5 (IR on)

So of course, the faster the shutter, the more light that is needed.

But as more competition came out, manufacturers started playing games and tweaking the settings for getting the lowest lux possible, but that came at a cost of a configuration nobody would use. So they wouldn't say how the camera was configured to capture that minimum illumination rating.

They play these marketing games to make it look like the camera is better than it is for someone that is just chasing minimum illumination numbers. Kind of like how we rarely get the miles per gallon a car is rated for.

It is a tool, but I would prefer to see the reviews here with settings provided and make an educated guess as to if my light is more or less than the reviewer.

So is this Axis min illumination of 0.07 at a slow shutter or fast shutter?

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah even in 2023, brand new cameras coming off the line are still requiring Internet Explorer and the plug-in in many instances. Some cameras are better than others, but IE is the standard if you don't want problems.

Unfortunately Hikvision and Dahua make many of the other brands out there, so you would potentially have the same experiences. Even 5 times the cost Axis still recommends Internet Explorer LOL.

Here is a thread from just this week about a Hikvision needing Explorer.

As I point out in Post #4, you have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Dahua and Hikvision target audience, it is the professional installers that are authorized to sell and install this gear, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a "Hikvision" or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer....

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these types of cameras and a forum like this to help us troubleshoot when needed.

We simply are not their intended user, so if you want it simpler and more user-friendly, then you need to go to consumer grade stuff like Ring, Arlo, Nest, Reolink, Blink, Eufy, etc where you simply scan a QR code and you are good to go. There interfaces and ease of use are generally better, but they are not very secure and the imagery won't be as good, but it is simple to get going.

Further their intended market is businesses, so they have lots of light and can get away with auto settings, so most never have to get into the camera GUI and simply look at the video feeds via an NVR hooked to a monitor, so they never deal with the plug-in.

You really need to be asking yourself do you want quality cameras to capture quality video at night with motion OR do you want the simplicity scan a QR code and be tricked into thinking you have a good system (that is actually a security risk and crappy video with motion at night)? Unfortunately you can't get both.

The consumer grade Ring and Arlos and Reolink and Blink and whatever you can buy at a big box store sells just that - simplicity plug-n-play devices with very little ability to tweak settings. But that simplicity comes at the expense of usable video with motion, especially at night.

I don't think many here would agree that Synology, Reolink, Vivint cameras are better than Dahua. Axis would be for some models, but not worth the 2-5 times the cost.

Or go with Vivint and then not be able to get the clean capture of a perp at night and we can add your images to this thread LOL

Actually you can get a good quality system that isn't a Dahua combined with blue iris. I have a synology nvr which I found to much more solid. Ring, arlo are not what I am speaking about.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Actually you can get a good quality system that isn't a Dahua combined with blue iris. I have a synology nvr which I found to much more solid. Ring, arlo are not what I am speaking about.
What camera makes/models/prices are your good quality system? How much is synology costing you?

Please provide some night time samples with motion of your cameras in operation.

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have six Dahua cams in use, a mix of Andy EmpireTech and a couple Dahua OEM. I have never had any issues with settings and I did not use Pale Moon browser to configure.
Same with me all Andy cams...and I use Firefox and Chrome to access settings with no issues...