GMAIL Failure? Anyone Else?

BobElHat

n3wb
Reaction score
I got testing failed while trying this.
It works fine for me and it's officially documented by Google so if it doesn't work it could be your ISP at fault - I believe some bad ISP think it's a good idea to block port 25.

That is a Google Apps support page, but the successful test pictured was sending to and (and from) a normal free Gmail account.

john306

n3wb
Reaction score
Uk and mine has stopped working again.
I'm not surprised though, ever since I finally got it working it may send an email alert if it feels like it or may or may not attach a pic with it, it's so hit and miss its annoying

Mannyk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It works fine for me and it's officially documented by Google so if it doesn't work it could be your ISP at fault - I believe some bad ISP think it's a good idea to block port 25.

That is a Google Apps support page, but the successful test pictured was sending to and (and from) a normal free Gmail account.

Bobelhat where are you based and what settings have you got

smtp;
ssl:
smtp port:

are you using 2 step or normal gmail password??

Thanks

BobElHat

n3wb
Reaction score
Bobelhat where are you based and what settings have you got

smtp;
ssl:
smtp port:

are you using 2 step or normal gmail password??

Thanks
[FONT=Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm in the UK, but I doubt that makes any difference. Whether your ISP blocks outgoing connections on port 25 would matter though, apparently some block it to stop bonnets sending spam.[/FONT]

smtp: [FONT=Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]aspmx.l.google.com[/FONT]
[FONT=Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]port: 25[/FONT]
[FONT=Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]SSL: off[/FONT]
[FONT=Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]authentication: off (box not ticked, no username/password entered)
[/FONT]
I do use 2FA for my gmail account, but it doesn't make any difference with this method as no authentication is required to send.

Mannyk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in the UK, but I doubt that makes any difference. Whether your ISP blocks outgoing connections on port 25 would matter though, apparently some block it to stop bonnets sending spam.

smtp: aspmx.l.google.com
port: 25
SSL: off
authentication: off (box not ticked, no username/password entered)

I do use 2FA for my gmail account, but it doesn't make any difference with this method as no authentication is required to send.

cheers will try that

Mannyk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tried same settings as Boblehat, nope not working for me at all, not even test

no good for my DVR

Thanks Boblehat for posting configurations

LeeH

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, so whats the craic with this, gmail and yandex don't work.

Is there any other account paid or not paid that works? :livid:

cariocap

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in the UK, but I doubt that makes any difference. Whether your ISP blocks outgoing connections on port 25 would matter though, apparently some block it to stop bonnets sending spam.

Thanks BobElHat,
Working with your settings here in Brazil in my 2 DS-2CD2032-I cameras with firmware V5.2.0 build 140721.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, so whats the craic with this, gmail and yandex don't work.

Is there any other account paid or not paid that works? :livid:

I had the same issue with gmail, I switched to my ISP Email which is Xfinity (comcast) and its working now again.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Comcast working :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kieran

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Morning all,

I wrote a small guide on our own forums recently regarding how to resolve this Gmail issue, as per Hikvision's own instructions. It resolved the issue for us in the office on a Hikvision DS-7716NI-I4-16P, DS-7608NI-E2-8P and various 3MP / 4MP Hikvision cameras running v5.4.0 - we've been receiving email alerts without failure for a couple of weeks now.

http://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/solved-hikvision-gmail-failure.775/

It involves creating an app-specific password for your NVR within your Google account settings, or in the case of a standalone camera simply updating to v5.4.0

We're receiving some conflicting reports from our customers. Many are saying that the above process resolved Gmail email alerts for them absolutely fine. Others however are saying that the fix didn't work for them.

I'd appreciate if you could give it a try and post back your results so I can get a greater understanding of how reliable the fix is.

Apologies - I wouldn't ordinarily plug our own forum here, but this is causing me no end of headaches, as I'm sure you can all relate!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mannyk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Morning all,

I wrote a small guide on our own forums recently regarding how to resolve this Gmail issue, as per Hikvision's own instructions. It resolved the issue for us in the office on a Hikvision DS-7716NI-I4-16P, DS-7608NI-E2-8P and various 3MP / 4MP Hikvision cameras running v5.4.0 - we've been receiving email alerts without failure for a couple of weeks now.

It involves creating an app-specific password for your NVR within your Google account settings, or in the case of a standalone camera simply updating to v5.4.0

We're receiving some conflicting reports from our customers. Many are saying that the above process resolved Gmail email alerts for them absolutely fine. Others however are saying that the fix didn't work for them.

I'd appreciate if you could give it a try and post back your results so I can get a greater understanding of how reliable the fix is.

Apologies - I wouldn't ordinarily plug our own forum here, but this is causing me no end of headaches, as I'm sure you can all relate!

Kieran

I am based in UK and using DVR DS-7204HGHI-SH firmware V3.3.2 build 151118

Gmail was working fine with me up until a month a go. When it went off I found this forum and realised it was not the only one facing this email problem.
Then I changed to the app -specific created password sign on and Gmail started working with the following settings

SMTP: 74.125.68.108
Smtp port: 465
Enable SSL: Ticked yes
authentication: ***********@gmail.com
password (the app specific created password)

This worked till last week since when all has gone off again.
I have tried many email accounts. hotmail, aol,yandex, mail.com and yahoo no luck
i have tried my ISP email account BT.com still no good????

Some posts say Comcast works, but we cant register in UK for a comcast account (unless someone tells me a way round it)

So Kieran its frustrating that no email notifications work, can you help.

Kieran

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for that Manny.

I hadn't personally tested the fix with a Hikvision DVR / Turbo DVR, but I've just set up a DS-7208HGHI-SH on v3.3.1 we have on our demo system and had a look. A different model perhaps, but very similar to your own.

I have been unable to get emails from the DVR using the app-specific password fix, just as you described. Another user on our forums mentioned the same, with a DS-7204HWI-SH.

I then went back and had a test with the aforementioned DS-7716NI-I4-16P and DS-7608NI-E2-8P NVRs, and both of these worked with the app-specific password without issue.

I can only assume then that Hikvision DVRs are simply not working with the app-specific password workaround, whereas currently the NVRs do. If anyone else can have a test, that'd be very useful.

I'm afraid though Manny we're simply going to have to wait and see what Hikvision roll out next to resolve this. No ETA on an NVR firmware update as of yet, but they might be able to find another workaround in the interim if this is confirmed to not work with their DVRs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mannyk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for that Manny.

I hadn't personally tested the fix with a Hikvision DVR / Turbo DVR, but I've just set up a DS-7208HGHI-SH on v3.3.1 we have on our demo system and had a look. A different model perhaps, but very similar to your own.

I haven't been unable to get emails from the DVR using the app-specific password fix, just as you described. Another user on our forums mentioned the same, with a DS-7204HWI-SH.

I then went back and had a test with the aforementioned DS-7716NI-I4-16P and DS-7608NI-E2-8P NVRs, and both of these worked with the app-specific password without issue.

I can only assume then that Hikvision DVRs are simply not working with the app-specific password workaround, whereas currently the NVRs do. If anyone else can have a test, that'd be very useful.

I'm afraid though Manny we're simply going to have to wait and see what Hikvision roll out next to resolve this. No ETA on an NVR firmware update as of yet, but they might be able to find another workaround in the interim if this is confirmed to not work with their DVRs.
Thanks Kieran for the reply and the information...... waiting game it is...

goobs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Kieran

I have a DS-7204HWI-SH and v3.1.4 build 150430 firmware and have the same issues as MannyK.

Hikvision have said they will NOT be updating the firmware as the DVR is too old.
I have mentioned to them this forum and the pages of other users reporting the issue but they are adamant that they only update current production equipment.

Have you been in touch with Hikvision yourself ?
It may carry more weight coming from you.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have NVR but have been using the motion detection to trigger sending emails to my gmail. This worked well until a few days ago. I checked everything and couldn't figure what went wrong.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ouch.i have a feeling hikvision will be losing a good amount of customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimo

n3wb
Reaction score

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
tbh my gmail was working but then stopped, i have a few web sites i design and maintain for various things i do and used one of my mail servers which is part of a hosting package, that also failed to work until i realized i had not opened a port for my hosting package mail server in my router, once opened the emails from the NVR flooded in

Not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs but please do not use port 25 as it is frequently blocked by ISP`s and instead use an alternative which is always available dependent on your preferred mail provider and then OPEN that port in your router to your static NVR address

I am willing to bet 90% of the issues are because your own router is blocking the mail from your NVR

LeeH

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What about if you are not using an NVR??

I have mine on a NAS like some others so is the port still relevant?