Ghosting, stuttering, dropped frames - I found a solution?

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So... I havent had a problem with ghosting for a long time. I migrated to a standard desktop CPU from a U series CPU in a NUC a few years ago and never looked back. well... until last week.

I needed some space and wanted to get rid of some old hardware so I looked to move my BI implementation back to a newer Gen7 NUC with a 7100U CPU. This has a powerful HD 620 GPU on the chip so I figure "Lets see".

I migrated to the NUC over the weekend and everything was fine. Higher CPU load (since I went from a 4 core 65W i5-3475 to a 2 core 15W i3-7100U) but still around 30%, and GPU load around 50%. Everything was peachy.

I made one single change and ghosting, stuttering, and dropped frames came rocketing back.

I turned on "Turn off my screen after X minutes" in Win 10 Settings. I just turned it off, rebooted, and the ghosting is gone. I have a monitor connected but its turned off.

One thing I think could be a solution here is something like this for headless setups: NewerTech's 'HDMI Headless Video Accelerator' Keeps GPU Active for Better Performance With No Display

Something to keep the GPU thinking that it has a monitor. I've noticed that Intel GPUs do limit their capabilities when there is not a monitor connected.

Food for thought! This would explain why I couldn't see the issues in the past when I was on the old NUC I was working on, but then did when I would walk away later that day.