getting ready to install bi on a win 11 machine, what is the best setup for storage?

Reaction score
I have a 2tb SSD main drive and a 8 tb purple what is the best way to set it up and do I need to change the format of the purple drive for faster greater storage? is it still limited to 2 tb of storage or can I use the whole drive as one big BI storage drive without issues.

the new machine is the top one in my signature and it as been problem free since I put it together a few months ago so it should be good to go for BI.

thanks for the suggestions

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2tb SSD main drive and a 8 tb purple what is the best way to set it up and do I need to change the format of the purple drive for faster greater storage? is it still limited to 2 tb of storage or can I use the whole drive as one big BI storage drive without issues.

the new machine is the top one in my signature and it as been problem free since I put it together a few months ago so it should be good to go for BI.

thanks for the suggestions
There was never a 2tb limit for storage...ensure that windows, BI and the BI database are on the ssd.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do keep in mind some have had issues with Win11 and BI....

@SouthernYankee standard post still applies as it relates to your other questions:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the 2Tb limit is only if you format the drive as MBR, for larger drives Windows should default to GPT so you can create a partition using the entire available space.

The default cluster size will I think be 4k. I change mine to 64k but some suggest changing it to 1024k or even 2048k if the drive will only ever be used to store video clips. I chose 64k as that’s the recommended size for SQL servers so if it’s good enough for that then it’s good enough for me

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI. Leave at least 50GB free.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.
10) for performance do not put more than about 10,000 files in a folder, the search and adding files will eat CPU and disk performance. Look at using a sub folder per camera (see &CAM in bi help)

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Reaction score
Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
now to figure out how to change the allocation size in windows 11 pro

Reaction score
Uh huh....
In Win 10 it's right-click on the drive, select "format", scroll down to "allocation unit size" and select from drop-down menu, then "Start". :cool:
all the other machines are windows 10 but I figured life was just too easy so I better inflicted myself with windows 11

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you write to the file and the file needs to be extended, it gets extended by the clustersize. if you have small files, having a large cluster size results in allocating much more space on the disk than the file occupies. For large files having a larger cluster size means the file system has to do less extensions of the file.

Reaction score
As you write to the file and the file needs to be extended, it gets extended by the clustersize. if you have small files, having a large cluster size results in allocating much more space on the disk than the file occupies. For large files having a larger cluster size means the file system has to do less extensions of the file.
that is exactly what I thought, but even after googling it add utubing it for some damn reason I can find how to do it in 11pro, any ideas?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it’s an advanced detail not needed for newbies. The primary goal is to get BI running in a simple manner. for all the bullshit you’ll put yourself through, you can’t go wrong with defaults to get started.
you can always fiddle fuck around with shit like that at a future time after you become BI proficient

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use the format command from CMD (windows key + CMD)
format X: /q /fs: ntfs /V:vol-name /A:1M
where x: is the drive letter and vol-name is the label for the disk like Blue-Iris. /Q says do a quick format without verifying disk.
it takes a few hours to verify a 4tb disk.

type "help format" for more info.