Getting invalid User Name or Pssword message on Dahua cam

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just started getting this on one of my cams. I do not log into them directly very often but the ID and password worked last week. I have not changed any IDs or passwords from my original change at set-up a long time ago. No NVR. I use Blue Iris. BI still connects to and shows the camera image. I have rebooted the camera in BI and manually disconnected the ethernet from my POE switch to power cycle but still getting same message. I also tried going through the config tool and other browsers to log in, (I usually use I.E. 11 and the Dahua plug-in, but tried Pale Moon and Chrome as well) which all give the same error. I am 100% sure the ID and PW I am using is correct and I have not been into any PW setting change areas on any cameras. (I did try to search the forum first but did not find the exact same topic in a few pages of results which was surprising...mostly for NVRs.)

How can this happen?
What do I need to do to get back into this camera?
PWError.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go into Blue Iris and look up the username and password for that camera in camera settings - I bet you are using a wrong password.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ve had this happen with my Dahua cams. NVR can log in fine but browser is locked out with same password.

I rebooted the camera and deleted the cookies in my browser and it worked fine.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same settings as in BI. I've not changed the ID or PW for the camera since I got it a couple years ago. I had this happen temporarily a long time ago on other Dahua cameras in one browser but not in another which is why I tried different ones...but it is doing it in all and the config app this time just for this one, (of 8) cameras. Mystery! o_O

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried disconnecting for a while...no change. How is it BI can access the camera but I cannot through any other means with the same ID and Password?
What other options are there? Factory reset? Is there an on-camera button for that?

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, if you can still access the camera, try creating another account. The account lockout feature seems to be per account, per IP address.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Any chance there is a bad key on the keyboard? Had that happen to me once. No matter how many times I tried, wouldn’t let me in. That’s when I typed the password in notepad to find there was a bad key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, if you can still access the camera, try creating another account. The account lockout feature seems to be per account, per IP address.
Not understanding this...I cannot log directly into the camera is the issue. How could I create another account on it without 1st being logged in?
BI can access the camera and record the image but no resources within BI to create another account on the cameras that I know about.

I did check my keys in notepad and I use the same ID\PW for all the cameras, (I know that probably makes some people cringe...don't throw things at me!), and it works for all the others so not a keyboard issue.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not understanding this...I cannot log directly into the camera is the issue. How could I create another account on it without 1st being logged in?
OK, not the same issue I was seeing then. I changed the password on my camera, then all the devices would not log in even after I updated the password! I think it was locking them out because they tried the 'wrong' (old) password too many times. I'm not sure if you are trying to log in to the camera via the same host as BI or a different one. I would try the same if possible.

Also, you might get a bit more detail if you try login in via cURL. The web forms basically hide whatever error comes back from the unit.

curl -v --digest --user "admin:<password>" http://192.168.x.x/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi?channel=1

Since you can't log into the unit, I won't mention seeing log in attempts in rsyslog....

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I am just trying to log into the camera directly from a web browser on my desktop. The camera is connected via a POE switch. Not sure what you mean by, "log in to the camera via the same host as BI or a different one. "

Also sorry...no idea what cURL is?...(I did just google it...A command line tool?). I dropped that line into Windows CMD prompt as that's the only command line too I know about though and it returned the below information if that's the same or if the below result means anything I don't know but thanks for trying to help....

------
curl -v --digest --user "admin:<xxxx>"

Trying 192.168.0.65...
  • TCP_NODELAY set
  • Connected to 192.168.0.65 (192.168.0.65) port 80 (#0)
  • Server auth using Digest with user 'admin'
GET /cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi?channel=1 HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.0.65
User-Agent: curl/7.55.1
Accept: /
< HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
< WWW-Authenticate: Digest realm="Login to 4APAG9EF9280814", qop="auth", nonce="888001874", opaque="a5e09fb66b79543780d40514c587ca00ae91a091"
< Connection: close
< CONTENT-LENGTH: 0
<
  • Closing connection 0
  • Issue another request to this URL: ''
  • Hostname 192.168.0.65 was found in DNS cache
  • Trying 192.168.0.65...
  • TCP_NODELAY set
  • Connected to 192.168.0.65 (192.168.0.65) port 80 (#1)
  • Server auth using Digest with user 'admin'
GET /cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi?channel=1 HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.0.65
Authorization: Digest username="admin",realm="Login to 4APAG9EF9280814",nonce="888001874",uri="/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi?channel=1",cnonce="623a09f83641eb34c478b61c6f87cbc4",nc=00000001,response="30717ef5964f95c72d1b17cb97505788",qop="auth",opaque="a5e09fb66b79543780d40514c587ca00ae91a091"
User-Agent: curl/7.55.1
Accept: /
< HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
< Connection: close
< Content-type: text/plain;charset=utf-8
< Content-Length: 27
<
Error
Invalid Authority!
* Closing connection 1
----------

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
remember that the camera has a username and password for the web login as well as a separate user name and password for onvif. BI can be using onvif and thats why its getting the image.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm...So I only ever changed the default log-in password via web browser and used the same ID\PW in BI. Could there still be a generic default ID\PW for the web?!
Failing anything else, can the camera somehow be "hard reset"? Not like I have any special settings I care about.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It should have a reset button next to where the SD card goes.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I opened the camera and pressed the only button thee was for about 30 sec and rebooted it, (unplugged from POE Switch) for 30 sec or so. Now I can tell the camera is back on but can't find it so I am assuming it reset to it's factory condition, which I recall means some default 192.168.1,x IP address. It's been a long time since I set up a brand new Dahua camera and I don't recall how to get my computer to find it. I switched my IPV4 properties from "obtain IP automatically" to a fixed 192.168.1.1 and ran the search tool again but got nothing. So not sure I'm doing this right.
Any instruction links for finding and changing the default IP for a new Dahua camera would be appreciated if someone has that handy while I continue googling it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I opened the camera and pressed the only button thee was for about 30 sec and rebooted it, (unplugged from POE Switch) for 30 sec or so. Now I can tell the camera is back on but can't find it so I am assuming it reset to it's factory condition, which I recall means some default 192.168.1,x IP address. It's been a long time since I set up a brand new Dahua camera and I don't recall how to get my computer to find it. I switched my IPV4 properties from "obtain IP automatically" to a fixed 192.168.1.1 and ran the search tool again but got nothing. So not sure I'm doing this right.
Any instruction links for finding and changing the default IP for a new Dahua camera would be appreciated if someone has that handy while I continue googling it.
Since you set the IPV4 to the 192. IP range, now go into Internet Explorer and type in 192.168.1.108 to pull up the camera and then change the IP in the camera GUI to your IP address.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That did not work but I found another older post about it here and after a couple of tries I was able to find it in the config tool by changing the IPV4 and adding the .1 sub in an alternate config section...not even really sure what I did. Then scanned w the config tool and found it...then it failed to change the IP a half dozen times so googled it on my phone, (since the computer IP change to xx.xxx.1.xxx knocked me off the internet of course)...then after finding nothing, I tried it agin and it changed it. ? Very confusing...maybe the system needed a while to syn or something.

I wish there was a much simpler straightforward way to change the IP address on new cameras. Glad I don't have to do this all the time. I do not understand computer networking enough to know why the config tool cannot look at xxx,xxx.x.xxx a nd xxx.xxx.1.xxx at the same time requiring the IPV4 change every time to address a new camera. Why wouldn't they just defalut it to .0 sub if that's wht most computer defaults run on?

Anyway, thanks for the hints to get me there.