Getting a 5442

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered one of these from Empire, coming today. I probably won't have time to set it up right away, but may connect it up tabeltop next week for testing and a look at basic configuration first. I am not like you guys, this isn't my primary... or even secondary... hobby so I don't want to spend a lot of time customizing, so I'll be looking to you for tips and shortcuts. I suppose I need to go find and install Internet Explorer. Egads! I am looking forward to, and hoping, that the AI helps me minimize false detects and provides more reliable alerts.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're using Win10 just type "explorer" in the search box on the command bar at the bottom of the screen. It'll pop right up, just click and go. No need to install anything.

Running the camera on a test setup for a little while is always a good idea just to do a "burn in" to make sure everything is working properly.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got it connected up in my basement just playing with basic config. Piece of cake. I tried it first with Edge and of course it was clunky... for instance the picture doesn't display in the focus and zoom adjustment window. Now using IE, no problems.

One question: is there any need to enable PNP? I got that pop up on initial power on but I am not thrilled with a 3rd party collecting IP, MAC, etc. Does this need to be done to enable some critical function? I unchecked the box and proceeded into setup but I don't see an option to turn PNP on there... might require a factory reset and start over?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No you don’t need it and probably don’t want it.
It can be turned on/off under the Network settings

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, in network settings... Yes PnP... the popup said P2P and had me confused.

BTW, initial impressions: Cam seems like a really solid piece of hardware. And I love the interface, very clean and responsive. Picture also looks great. I may go ahead and swap it in for the old HIK today if I can find a little time.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went ahead and swapped it in. Running totally default for now except I changed the video resolution to 1080P. Not sure if my older PC can keep up with all the new megapixels. Something else to look at... Really easy since the old HIK waterproof connector was identical so I didn't even have to futz with that. I have this thing up in the corner between joists and sill plate of the 2nd floor deck. I have it mounted to a piece of plywood that spans the joists to cover the wiring and junction box. When I took it down (haven't had it off for several years) I found a big old abandoned bird's nest. LOL. It fell before I could get a photo.

I have this zoomed in significantly from my old fixed cam and will try this for awhile. It is a bit of a compromise... I need to see the left wall with the windows and door... and I'd like to see the approaches to the camera on the right. Can't quite get it all unless I zoom it out like the other... but then you miss detail of people climbing the steps... which is most likely. So this will probably work. You can sneak up to it now by crouching and hanging to the right but probably not carrying a little step ladder. BTW, there is a plastic tool shed that blocks the very far right so the uncovered slice is pretty narrow.

Not yet pulled into BI... maybe later. I haven't done any AI or event config yet either. Also need to think about exposure some. I am not really too concerned with daytime but you can see how the bright background shuts the exposure down so the darker areas are almost too dark.

Dahua_first_shot.JPG

Last edited:

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pretty impressed with the low light capability of this cam, It held onto color for about 30-45 minutes longer in the evening and came back to color earlier in the AM than my several year old HIK... which was already pretty darned good. Hopefully I'll get the smtp sorted so I can test the AI features soon. This is a challenging scene... south facing so the sun tracks entirely across from left to right so the shadow locations from the tall backlit trees change constantly during the day. And they penetrate toward the house more or less with the seasonal changes in sun declination. Like with the HIK I had here before I have a Zone A, B and hot zones defined in BI and crossing rules A>B. But it is still difficult to filter out false alarms. But that will have to do for now.