Geofencing on android not triggering until the BI app is opened

BassTeQ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've configured geofencing, and a push notification whenever I enter/exit the area. This works well if I leave the BI app open.
However when the app is in the background it doesn't trigger the geofence change, until I open the app again.
I've configured the app so;
  • location is always accessible
  • excluded from being put to sleep
Screenshot_20230920_131859_Permission controller.jpg
Screenshot_20230920_131945_Device care.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks

claret

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have an answer I am afraid, but funny enough I have the same issue and trying to work it out too. Exact same experience you describe. My Android settings look slightly different as I am running an Oppo phone, but everything is set up to run in the background.

The only curious thing at the moment is if I do a test notification, that seems to be popping OK on it's own. The only thing I don't know at this point is if I have waited enough time, just in case it really is Android killing the app for some reason, or geofencing isn't triggering it all.

BassTeQ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, other BI notifications are working fine to mobile app, it's just the geofence which isn't working.

claret

n3wb
Reaction score
An update on this on my side, things have just started 'working', I can't say for certain say when but I have noticed that there was a new version of the blue iris app released on 23 Sept with the release note 'Android S Geofence Update'.

The only thing I don't know is how often Blue Iris asks google for location, my guess is there is a timed interval in the background, so most likely it will never be instant but it should trigger eventually. However, I'm not 100% certain yet If my triggers were led by the Blue Iris app or I just happened to open an app that requests GPS, like google maps. Having said that though, it wasn't even doing that before so they've definitely fixed something!

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
An update on this on my side, things have just started 'working', I can't say for certain say when but I have noticed that there was a new version of the blue iris app released on 23 Sept with the release note 'Android S Geofence Update'.

The only thing I don't know is how often Blue Iris asks google for location, my guess is there is a timed interval in the background, so most likely it will never be instant but it should trigger eventually. However, I'm not 100% certain yet If my triggers were led by the Blue Iris app or I just happened to open an app that requests GPS, like google maps. Having said that though, it wasn't even doing that before so they've definitely fixed something!
I’ve also started seeing geofence notifications again this past week. The app updated on 9/25.

BassTeQ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It looks like after the BI app update it's working, but for my purpose it's not quick enough.
I've set the radius to 100m, but don't get the notication until 3-5 mins later, I wanted to be able to trigger an event before I arrive home.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It looks like after the BI app update it's working, but for my purpose it's not quick enough.
I've set the radius to 100m, but don't get the notication until 3-5 mins later, I wanted to be able to trigger an event before I arrive home.
Have you tried using a larger radius? (I use 400m.)
This will provide some more time before you arrive home.