General question regarding firmware

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I purchased the DS-7608ni-E2/8p from Amazon and was able to get it configured and running ok including Virtual Host. It was described by the merchant to be US Upgrade and I took this to mean that it was a US version. When I got it, it came in an OEM type box (Plain Brown Card board ) and the Label had Chinese and some 9 digit number. Anyway, after I upgraded it, it bricked and after hours of searching, I set it up for a return and refund and it was picked up next day. I have since ordered another one from a different merchant and it too is described as 'Support upgrade English version". It has NI in the model so I understand this to me International?

I want to position myself to unbrick it should I encounter the same issue. I was able to locate the TFTP tool with instructions. I have two questions:

1. Is there anyway I can tell if it will be safe to upgrade to latest firmware from Hik-Vision's site? My guess is if it is not official US version, they will not help.

2. Once I know the firmware version I have, where can I download prior versions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
t has NI in the model so I understand this to me International?
That should be the case, given that it shows in the web GUI and not just on a label.
Anyway, after I upgraded it, it bricked and after hours of searching,
History, I know, but what exactly did you do to it?
eg web GUI update and firmware from <link>
Is there anyway I can tell if it will be safe to upgrade to latest firmware from Hik-Vision's site?
The serial number, as seen via the web GUI, is usually a pretty good indication.
Once I know the firmware version I have, where can I download prior versions?
The largest collection is the in the Hikvision Europe site, here : HIKVISION EUROPE

And you've come to the best place for finding out what others have done in a similar situation - it's quite common.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I downloaded the firmware from Hikvision USA... After it rebooted it got into a boot loop.

Could you elaborate what you mean that the serial number would be a good indication that it is safe to update the firmware from the US site of Hik-vision? Or should I download any future firmware from Hik Europe? Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a sequence of 4 letters in the middle of the serial number that can indicate the region/language settings.
I don't recall all the combinations (except CH=China, WR=World region, RR=The remainder).
There was a very helpful post just recently that gave a lot of detail - despite the new much improved search I can't find it.