General question regarding BI

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am a noob to this so bear with me. I have a 7600 series HikVision POE 8 channel nvr and would like to try BI. The NVR It has it's own internal IP addressing which is out of the range of my router. Cameras are at 192.168.254.1~ And my range is 192.168.0.1~ For direct access to my cameras, I must have virtual host enabled.

When running BI, I entered the IP Address of my NVR and can see the first camera, but cannot figure out how to see the others. Not sure if this internal IP Addressing of my NVR is of any significance. Thanks for any help to get me rolling.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am a noob to this so bear with me. I have a 7600 series HikVision POE 8 channel nvr and would like to try BI. The NVR It has it's own internal IP addressing which is out of the range of my router. Cameras are at 192.168.254.1~ And my range is 192.168.0.1~ For direct access to my cameras, I must have virtual host enabled.

When running BI, I entered the IP Address of my NVR and can see the first camera, but cannot figure out how to see the others. Not sure if this internal IP Addressing of my NVR is of any significance. Thanks for any help to get me rolling.
you are actually pulling the stream from the NVR not the cameras...there is a camera number selection in the video configuration tab to select the other cameras...

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you are actually pulling the stream from the NVR not the cameras...there is a camera number selection in the video configuration tab to select the other cameras...
Thanks. I'll look for a video configuration tab.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was able to figure it out. I found two locations on the first screen referencing CAM#. One was in a string where there was reference to PSIA, and the other was a pull down tab with pre selections for Cam#....i.e. cam1, cam2, etc. The CAM_01 in that PSIA string should be left alone. I only needed to select the other Cam#s and I now have all 7 cameras acquired. Hope I didn't confuse anyone further but wanted to share best I could. BTW I found out elsewhere in this forum that messing with the CAM# in the PSIA string only affects substream selection.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW I found out elsewhere in this forum that messing with the CAM# in the PSIA string only affects substream selection.
That is true for CAMERAS. For NVR's it selects the channels. Not its always best to pull the streams direct from the camera itself, not the nvr.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman! Makes sense that it is best to pull streams from the cameras. My HikVision NVR has an internal ip addressing scheme that makes accessing the cameras outside of the NVR not possible. The system assigns IP Addresses that are outside the addressing scheme of my router. Do you think it would be worth it to not use the POE connections on my NVR and instead, invest in a separate POE switch? Certainly don't want to spend money on this solution if the benefits not that great. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman! Makes sense that it is best to pull streams from the cameras. My HikVision NVR has an internal ip addressing scheme that makes accessing the cameras outside of the NVR not possible. The system assigns IP Addresses that are outside the addressing scheme of my router. Do you think it would be worth it to not use the POE connections on my NVR and instead, invest in a separate POE switch? Certainly don't want to spend money on this solution if the benefits not that great. Thanks.
Personally I think it is worth it because you have some redundancy....but that is a call you need to make.