General Camera Questions

amtiskaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

IT guy here, who somehow ended up responsible for our security camera setup. I have read the wiki, and I realize we need more/better cameras. Having said that:

We're using a mix of fixed and PTZ Dahua cameras. The PTZs are setup with tours, but we find the Dahua enforced 15 second minimum for each tour location leads to blind spots. We have one that scans back and forth, but the image when moving is blurry, and at night it's basically worthless. The cameras are all at least 5 years old.

Looking at the LPR camera, does it auto detect and zoom in, or will it give readable plates at distance when fully zoomed out, say at the 165 ft IR max distance they quote?

Can you have a system auto zoom a PTZ camera on motion detection, or do we just need more cameras? If so, is this a function of the cameras or the system driving them?

Reaction score
The PTZs are setup with tours, but we find the Dahua enforced 15 second minimum for each tour location leads to blind spots. We have one that scans back and forth, but the image when moving is blurry, and at night it's basically worthless. The cameras are all at least 5 years old.
Missing areas during a PTZ tour is a problem. Everyone thinks it is like in a movie. It is not. Using a PTZ unmanned is what many try to do in an effort to not have a lot of cams, thinking the PTZ will be like having several cams to cover an area.

Looking at the LPR camera, does it auto detect and zoom in, or will it give readable plates at distance when fully zoomed out,
LPR cams are usually varifocal cams, like the one you linked to. But some have used a PTZ cam with a longer lens to get more distance. The LPR varifocal cams are not meant to change FOV. You set them for a specific FOV that gives you the best plate read and leave the FOV alone. It will NOT detect and zoom in.

Can you have a system auto zoom a PTZ camera on motion detection, or do we just need more cameras? If so, is this a function of the cameras or the system driving them?
Depending on your VMS, this is possible and many folks here use a 'spotter cam' to direct a PTZ to a specific preset location. But this takes time and you can miss a lot doing this. Also, if there is not enough light you will have blur and focus issues.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you are finding out, there are limitations to PTZs. They are always looking the wrong way when something happens.

LPR camera is a set it and forget it - it will not zoom in and it will not read plates fully zoomed out (widest angle). The LPR camera you are looking at won't even come close to reading plates at 165 feet. You need a camera with a focal length of 64mm and this camera is half that. Best case with the camera you linked is maybe 80 feet out of it, but realistically about 60 feet.

The best solution is to have fixed cameras covering the areas. A combination of wide angle overview cameras and varifocals optically zoomed in to pinch points.

Then compliment that with some autotracking PTZs and use the fixed cams as spotter cams that upon being triggered, it forces the PTZ to look to that area and then the autotracking takes over from there.

You have to consider the PTZ as a compliment to they system, and not as the sole provider to capture events. Especially if unmanned.

amtiskaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - greatly appreciated. I watched a few videos on LPR, and I don't think it's what we need. I think we'd be better off with more fixed low-light capable cameras, seeing how we have adequate lighting on site at night The guided PTZ idea looks interesting. I'll look further into that.

I've demoed Milestone Xprotect. Any pointers on other systems to have a look at?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Maintence guy here, ended up being responsible for a neolithic DVR system using cellophane lenses with b&W cameras in 2017.
At a 74 unit Condo with 2 parking lots, and 100 residents, and 80 cars.
Took a little Cisco Network Acad, and a little Pc Trouble shooting class back in win 98/Win2000 days. But nothing too deep.
I wasn't even handed IP cams. LOL. I tried adding a color cams and thought my troubles were over !
They were just beginning. Bounce ahead to 2020 and I found this forum.
Kinda listened kinda tried some DIY....bought a junker PTZ from Jidetech on Amazon.

Watching the forums i read the camera reviews that guys were posting like @looney2ns, and some others.
@SouthernYankee had good tips on his welcome blurb. too many others to mention.
@wittaj knows a lot. a lot!
Anyway i have learned after 5 Converter thefts, 2 Mail theft rings, and internal disgruntled Condo owners, or even mentally questionable residents
I've been taught where my weaknesses are with each event.
My PTZ is now fixed on a Parking lot.
the other 17 cams are a mix of 4Mp fixed and 2Mp varifocals, and 4 Mp varifocals, and some 180 degree wall cams, with Blue iris. on a i5-8500 HP Elitedesk.
what are you surveilling?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The thing that I noticed about BI over my limited exposure to other recording software on DVR's NVR"s and an "EyeMax" system, was the " recents" scroll along the left side of BI's console screen. It's like an " At a Glance" Calendar. When I scroll backwards thru time I can quickly see if, say for example, If FED ex been here, if any trucks showed up around back, if the trash was picked up, Who drove in the lot in the over night hours, whose in the laundry rooms, whose in the lobby, Who in the parking garages and whose in the parking lots, all in minutes...Minutes. Not so with review on other machines. They sit there and look at you, and say oh you want to see a camera from last night? Oh Ok, what date? Ok here's midnight, good luck hunting? WTF is that? I wasted a lot of time clunking around with DVR's before BI. I can now recommend it as a management tool to improve my efficiency at work.

amtiskaw

n3wb
Reaction score
We're currently only using a basic 16 channel Dahua NVR. If we replace most of the PTZs with fixed cams I think we'll come in under 48, so BI sounds like the next test candidate.

Reading our Milestone quote and seeing they charge for each device was a bit frown inducing...

Thanks again, everyone. It's great to get experience backed advice from people who know their stuff :)

amtiskaw

n3wb
Reaction score
The thing that I noticed about BI over my limited exposure to other recording software on DVR's NVR"s and an "EyeMax" system, was the " recents" scroll along the left side of BI's console screen. It's like an " At a Glance" Calendar. When I scroll backwards thru time I can quickly see if, say for example, If FED ex been here, if any trucks showed up around back, if the trash was picked up, Who drove in the lot in the over night hours, whose in the laundry rooms, whose in the lobby, Who in the parking garages and whose in the parking lots, all in minutes...Minutes. Not so with review on other machines. They sit there and look at you, and say oh you want to see a camera from last night? Oh Ok, what date? Ok here's midnight, good luck hunting? WTF is that? I wasted a lot of time clunking around with DVR's before BI. I can now recommend it as a management tool to improve my efficiency at work.
That's pretty much sums up my experience with hunting for events on our basic Dahua NVR, and what I like about Milestone after trialing it. Great workflow. The price though... I'll give BI a try next week. Cheers

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The evaluation copy isn't much help, i think ( guys help!) you can only use one camera? and the cpu % runs in a wacky uncharacteristic way until you license it. That was my experience anyway.
You can always deactivate the serial # and sell it at a discount I suppose.