General advice on my setup

Reaction score
Wondering if someone might have the time to have a look at my setup and see if there are any changes/improvements you would make, or configuration mistakes I may have made. Overall the system is running good, but there are hiccups from time to time. The log will sometimes show entries like "alert canceled: AI time out (ridiculously high number). The most annoying thing so far is my alerts. I have I set to push an alert to the app on my iPhone, and they're always 10+ seconds after the event. I'm not sure if this is normal or perhaps can be improved. It seems to be detecting really fast when I run tests on an alert image using the CPAI explorer page.

Here is some info on my setup, and some screenshots. If I've missed something, I would be happy to reply back with extra info or screenshots.

Computer
Laptop, i5-10310U, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD as the windows drive (BI db and new folder are stored here)
1Tb WD Purple connected via USB3 using a HDD dock with external power

Cameras
10 total; 7 ethernet and 3 wireless

Screenshots
Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 14.16.56.pngScreenshot 2023-04-06 at 14.17.21.pngScreenshot 2023-04-06 at 14.29.25.pngScreenshot 2023-04-06 at 14.19.11.pngScreenshot 2023-04-06 at 14.18.21.pngScreenshot 2023-04-06 at 14.18.52.pngScreenshot 2023-04-06 at 14.18.06.png

Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing this machine with an actual desktop. Looking at a Dell Optiplex with i7-7700. With a 512Gb m.2 drive and 16gb memory, I think it should improve my situation a little. Since the BI help stuff I found is recommending 6th gen i7 processors, I figured a 10th gen i5 would work great...I guess the -U variants are too cut down to be efficient in a laptop. Might be other problems with running it on a laptop like memory bandwidth and such. We'll see

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing this machine with an actual desktop. Looking at a Dell Optiplex with i7-7700. With a 512Gb m.2 drive and 16gb memory, I think it should improve my situation a little. Since the BI help stuff I found is recommending 6th gen i7 processors, I figured a 10th gen i5 would work great...I guess the -U variants are too cut down to be efficient in a laptop. Might be other problems with running it on a laptop like memory bandwidth and such. We'll see
Go with at least an eighth generation i5 which is a bit more powerful than the 7th gen i7 and will allow you upgrade to Windows 11... The information you're looking at is outdated... These can be purchased for $150... If you want more headroom the 10th generation desktops have a large jump and performance and then again the 12th and 13th both have large jumps and improvements..

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@onecoolpilot I agree with @fenderman's advice on desktops. These desktops will be better option than laptop. But I suspect you may still run into "alert canceled: AI time out" problem if you are asking the AI to analyze possibly 100 images for each trigger. Is that a typo in your screenshot?

Depending on each trigger situation, asking CP.AI to analyze 2-10 images should be sufficient.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Plus, you have "Detect/inspect static objects" enabled. That will put additional load on CP.AI because you are telling BI5 to send images for AI processing at regular intervals even when there is no trigger.

Unless you need to monitor the presence of a vehicle in a particular cam, turn the above option off for every cam to reduce AI load.

And since you are using ipcam-general, there are only 2 objects it can detect: person and vehicle. So update your "To confirm". For example, it will never detect cat or dog or truck or car...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
also lower make time and change the algorithm to simple...this will generate more triggers but avoid a missed event..let ai sort the falses.

Reaction score
Go with at least an eighth generation i5 which is a bit more powerful than the 7th gen i7 and will allow you upgrade to Windows 11... The information you're looking at is outdated... These can be purchased for $150... If you want more headroom the 10th generation desktops have a large jump and performance and then again the 12th and 13th both have large jumps and improvements..
Understood, I'll check out what I can get in the 8th or 10th gen processors. Trying to not spend too much to keep the WAF as high as possible (wife approval factor)

@onecoolpilot I agree with @fenderman's advice on desktops. These desktops will be better option than laptop. But I suspect you may still run into "alert canceled: AI time out" problem if you are asking the AI to analyze possibly 100 images for each trigger. Is that a typo in your screenshot?

Depending on each trigger situation, asking CP.AI to analyze 2-10 images should be sufficient.
Nope, that's not a typo. I saw that posted somewhere and tried it out. I don't recall if it were on these forums or another. I'll change it to 2.

Plus, you have "Detect/inspect static objects" enabled. That will put additional load on CP.AI because you are telling BI5 to send images for AI processing at regular intervals even when there is no trigger.

Unless you need to monitor the presence of a vehicle in a particular cam, turn the above option off for every cam to reduce AI load.

And since you are using ipcam-general, there are only 2 objects it can detect: person and vehicle. So update your "To confirm". For example, it will never detect cat or dog or truck or car...
Noted, I have turned off the static object detection on all cameras, and updated the "to confirm" sections and/or removed ipcam-general model on the ones I want more than person or vehicle

also lower make time and change the algorithm to simple...this will generate more triggers but avoid a missed event..let ai sort the falses.
and done.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. This is one of those times where the problem is cause by the user making changes when they don't know what they're changing.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.