gDMSS Push Notifications

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My push notifications have not worked in a long time. Like, 4-5 months. I thought it was because of an upgrade to the app back in September 2017, but now I'm not so sure (or it was fixed since then). I've kept an eye out here but it seems that nobody else was really having any issues, so I thought it was something with my network.

I replaced my shitty linksys wifi/router early January with a Ubiquity ERX router and successfully set up a firewall rule to block my Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 and all of my cameras from accessing the internet. Previously I had the parental controls on the Linksys router blocking internet access for them. I always wondered if that worked or not. Maybe it didn't.

Recently I've been trying to address the push notification issue and after spending most of today messing around with settings and such I finally just removed my NVR from the firewall rule that blocks any communication from the NVR/Cameras outside of my home network to the internet. Well, I immediately started receiving tons of push notifications on my phone. I quickly added it back to the firewall rule and they stopped.

Now, can anyone help me figure out what I can do to get push notifications working without letting the NVR see the Internet? Or maybe I'm doing it wrong and should set the firewall rule up so that nothing from the Internet can see the NVR/Cameras? That way it can still send the push notifications out, but if it "calls home" or something, nothing can reach it or the cameras.

Also, I do have a working VPN server on my network. I never thought it might be the fact that the NVR couldn't see the internet that was my problem, because weather or not I was at home on WiFi, away from home on my VPN or away from home not on my VPN, I never received any notifications.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can understand the notifications NOT working if you have blocked your NVR from seeing the outside world, I actually find it strange that they did work at some point in time if you had your device completely firewalled.
Google Cloud Messaging: Overview  |  Cloud Messaging  |  Google Developers

You might need to find out what IPs the push notifications are sent to, so before your block rule you make another allow rule, so your NVR can at least contact whatever IP range/s you need from Google/Apple for notifications to work.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like you have the solution here:
Anyone know what ports Dahua push notifications use?

"OK got it working as i wanted over the VPN Hurrayyyyyy!

All i had to do is allow TCP 2195 through the firewall.

If i am already on the VPN to home network from the phone, video will load straight away.

If not all i need to do is enable VPN and click on alert again.

Hope it helps someone else who don't like allowing NVR/Cameras talking to Internet but just allowed it to get push working."

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank You!! I guess i wasn't keeping as close of an eye on this forum as I had thought because I missed this.

And I think it worked for me before September 2017 because they changed the way it worked around then. I remember seeing a note when the gDMSS app updated that said because of a change in the way Google cloud notifications worked, the subscribe would need to be set back up in the app. This didn't make sense to me back then but it makes some sense now.