Gas Post Driver - has anyone used a gas or air post driver? Gots 12 Postmaster metal posts to get down to 24" deep in the next week.

Reaction score
I have to build a security privacy parking area on the side of my house. Will need 12-14 posts thru blacktop asphalt. I think I can use a Hilti hammer drill and convert to hammer chisel for the blacktop. Am not looking forward to using my digger bar & manual post hole digger for this project. Someone mentioned a post driver tool, either gas or air. Called HD rental and they do have a gas model (it only has a 3 1/4" barrel where the Postmasters are 3 1/2"...maybe they have adapters). Never used a post driver before. If anyone has used them, how do you keep things plumb and straight, as you go?
Gas-Post-Driver-1_145.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Try this. You may have to run a band of duct tape around them because of the impact. .==>> IRWIN Tools Magnetic Post Level
View attachment 79067

Otherwise, 2 cheap ($3 each) levels from Harbor freight taped 90 degrees apart ==>> PITTSBURGH 6 In. Torpedo Level With Magnetic Strip

View attachment 79068
yep, gots the post level bracket thingy. Good idea about duct tape. Might have a go at this gas pole driver. Saves time of renting auger and pouring cement. Was reading up on driving vs digging. Seems, driving is actually more stronger.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
yep. Was wondering why you were wearing that white bandana. Though a blue one would bring out your eyes :)
I'm the one working out with a small barbell. I just got back from competing in a body building contest!
:rofl::winktongue:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Used a similar one, but it appears heavier than mine, to drive T-posts into ground here but only a foot. Used a T-post for my bluebird house and it was struggle in this never-disturbed sandstone. Put an adapter on a electric rotary hammer to drive in ground rods it was so hard near my house.
we have Hammer drills at work (Hilti and Bosch). Hmm... wonder if they could be converted to a gate post driver.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
we have Hammer drills at work (Hilti and Bosch). Hmm... wonder if they could be converted to a gate post driver.
Maybe....as you know, so much depends on the soil, what's down there and how deep you have to go.
If you not under the gun time-wise, making an adapter and trying the rotary impact hammer drill (a BIG, HEAVY one) might just work as long as you can turn off the rotary....like a jack hammer, pretty much.

BTW, what's a "postmaster metal post"?

Reaction score
I wish I could get the new generation of Postmasters, but DIY'ers can only buy via HD/Lowe's which do not carry then other than the standard 7'6" original Postmaster.
961bbcb839cdfe7c853d6ad293c12302.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, yeah...I'd hate to try and drive that 24" even in soft soil without a power-driven tool. :cool:

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
(though, too spendy to rent front end loader):
You don't have something the equivalent of a dingo mini excavator with a post hole digger attachment you can rent over there?

They are good value here. Couple of hundred bucks for the day. Money well spent.

Reaction score
You don't have something the equivalent of a dingo mini excavator with a post hole digger attachment you can rent over there?

They are good value here. Couple of hundred bucks for the day. Money well spent.
there are various post hole diggers for rent (from handheld to rolling machinery like the Dingo you bring up). But if I can find a hand held driver (via air or gas) to rent, that would be more optimal (no cement, stronger, faster).

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Makes me glad we have sandy soil over here where it was a beach, millennia ago. I've been using the cast posts from Tractor Supply and driving them with a sledge. Takes about two minutes to get down three feet that way. I'm not going through asphalt though so that makes it even easier.

Reaction score
Makes me glad we have sandy soil over here where it was a beach, millennia ago. I've been using the cast posts from Tractor Supply and driving them with a sledge. Takes about two minutes to get down three feet that way. I'm not going through asphalt though so that makes it even easier.
yea... I can easily use a hammer drill with a masonary bit for the asphalt to make way for a post, no problem. I used my manual by hand digging bar already for a single hole as a test. I wish I had soft, black soil that folks on YouTube have when I see how to set posts. But instead, I have that soil that bends screwdrivers for the How Soft Is Your Soil test.