Garbage AI

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to monitor the times when my three garbage cans are placed in my driveway and subsequently collected. Each can has a unique six-digit number stamped on the front, along with a barcode. Is it possible to develop a custom model to recognize garbage cans and then utilize OCR, barcode reading, or even license plate recognition (LPR) to differentiate between the cans?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want to monitor the times when my three garbage cans are placed in my driveway and subsequently collected. Each can has a unique six-digit number stamped on the front, along with a barcode. Is it possible to develop a custom model to recognize garbage cans and then utilize OCR, barcode reading, or even license plate recognition (LPR) to differentiate between the cans?
In theory, yes ..

I would pick some easy to read symbols to paint on the cans for the AI to read ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the ALPR is just looking for a series of characters, so as long as they can be seen, they should be able to be read.

But as ALPR evolves, it may get to the point of only reading plates, so you would have to custom model or figure out how to use OCR for your application.