gama/brightness problems

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a mild issue concerning gama/brightness. in the morning and the evening i am fine. but during the afternoon the sun is so bright it causes a whiteout situation. The only way i have been finding to deal with this is to manually go into the camera settings and change it twice a day. Does anybody else have this problem and if so have you found a simple solution?

Driveway.20210327_151753726.10.jpg Driveway.20210327_152410784.11.jpg Untitled1.jpg
Wouldn't it be cool if Amcrest made the camera software work without opening a special app and copy and paste the ip address/url bla bla bla ???

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would assume you can give ranges for some settings since this is a Dahua cam unless Amcrest stripped it. You could fix this by giving it a range in the shutter. Go to manual and do 0-3ms. Go into gain setting and change to 0-35. Turn off backlight if you have on. Add some contrast back. Turn gamma down to 50 or so.

If making these changes don't fix it, then add some minor backlight like WDR and a low number.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, as wittaj points out, that's an exposure issue, not gamma. In the exposure pane, select manual, scroll down in the pic list 'till you see/select 'custom' and set a range there...

and depending on the model of Amcrest cam (which you didn't specify) you may be able to load up the Dahua firmware and ditch the Amcrest plugin...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
They may be optimized for the camera but that may not be optimal for the installation location. Every camera I own, mostly Dahua, has needed adjustment to fit the exact location to give the best video and even then I find myself tweaking them occasionally trying for even better images.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool if Amcrest made the camera software work without opening a special app and copy and paste the ip address/url bla bla bla ???
That's because the app your using to view and record the cams (Blue Iris) is actually just resold by Amcrest and happens to be compatible with their Dahua-OEM'd, Onvif-based cameras. It's used to pull the streams (once configured) and record them and play them back, etc, but in order to configure the cameras themselves, you need to access the cam GUI's directly, thus the 'copy and paste the ip address/url bla bla bla'.

In that sense, the Amcrest/BI solution is less integrated than (for example) and all-Dahua NVR/cam setup, where the NVR can actually configure the cams for you (for the most part). I suppose it might be nice if BI had more 'camera-management' features in general, but as for the 'copy and paste the ip address/url bla bla bla', that should not be necessary, as BI does provide the link to each cam's GUI in the camera's video tab...

link to cam's GUI.PNG

Of course, that tries to open the cam GUI in whatever your OS default browser may be, not necessarily the right browser for the camera.

so yeah, I can see how that might be confusing...

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Amcrest plug-in required by the browser to configure their cams,
On all my Amcrest cams I could skip the plug-in nag notice and configure the camera through the browser but without video. However, Amcrest has published firmware updates for many of their cams which does away with the need for a plugin. Also, if the cams are behind a PoE nvr, then yes, you must launch the config page from the NVR in order to have the NVR forward your traffic to the camera.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I see you list two cameras in your sig and have at least 3 in your BI setup. that doesn't tell me which one you're talking about, or even if it's any of them in your sig, which could be out of date or incomplete. i suppose i could guess or ASSume, but we try not to do that around here. just trying to help. jeez...