Funny / Satire

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's a good one!
Hope the new guy will finish the day with his eyesight intact...no goggles and staring right at incoming danger. But then again his ear protection is on his hardhat so they do a lot of good there.

But we DO have on our orange jacket with reflective stripes, so that's plus.

Chango

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Long time ago, my huey was down for phase maintenance. One of our new mechanics was sent out for a bucket of flight line. He came back after a loooong time very angry with an empty bucket.
For those not familiar with military humor, extremely elaborate pranks are pulled on people all the time. These pranks will often involve different units, many miles of travel, and being handed over from one experienced tormentor to another, always of a higher rank than the newbie. Phone calls will be placed while the victim is on his way to make sure he will be properly "handled". This is all part of a ritual welcoming to your new unit, how the victim reacts will determine if he has the proper attitude, otherwise it's rinse and repeat till he "gets it".

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Long time ago, my huey was down for phase maintenance. One of our new mechanics was sent out for a bucket of flight line. He came back after a loooong time very angry with an empty bucket.
For those not familiar with military humor, extremely elaborate pranks are pulled on people all the time. These pranks will often involve different units, many miles of travel, and being handed over from one experienced tormentor to another, always of a higher rank than the newbie. Phone calls will be placed while the victim is on his way to make sure he will be properly "handled". This is all part of a ritual welcoming to your new unit, how the victim reacts will determine if he has the proper attitude, otherwise it's rinse and repeat till he "gets it".
I was in the aviation branch of the U.S. Navy.....young Airman Apprentices (E-1 rank) were sent to get a "bucket of prop wash" regularly. :lmao:

Chango

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was in the aviation branch of the U.S. Navy.....young Airman Apprentices (E-1 rank) were sent to get a "bucket of prop wash" regularly. :lmao:
The helicopter I was crew chief of had patches on the fuselage from NVA gunfire. I was in from 81-84 so we were still using them for Dustoff missions out of Ft Lewis Washington.
Nice to see another aviation veteran of that vintage, most of our NCO's were Vietnam vets and quite a few officers as well. Excellent instruction from all of them, and tons of great stories, you guys will always have my respect.