Funny / Satire

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Jeez...That reminds me of the guy who reported that the timing for a traffic light was incorrect and backed it up with data. He put in the email or letter that he was an electrical engineer (It's kinda relevant that the guy had the mathematics background to be making the claim...). Well, he had an engineering degree but wasn't registered as a "Professional Engineer" with the state board. So, they went after him for that instead of fixing the traffic light...Typical...
You can't imagine in the 31 years that I designed, installed and maintained traffic signal control systems the number of so-called engineers thought their degree made them an expert and that they knew more about everything.

I can attest that it's a long way from "seeing it done" and "reading about it" to "actually fixing it and making it work like it should"....and that includes the timing of the traffic signals. One has to consider many variables: road width, lane width, number of lanes, road grade, pavement composition, curves, visibility, 85th percentile speed, posted speed limit, intersection width, egress/ingress of private businesses, driveways, location and size of inductive vehicle detection loops in the pavement and more.

There's no one size fits all and I doubt the "engineer" that reported it had a clue what he was talking about except maybe in his own mind. :cool:

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can't imagine in the 31 years that I designed, installed and maintained traffic signal control systems the number of so-called engineers thought their degree made them an expert and that they knew more about everything.

I can attest that it's a long way from "seeing it done" and "reading about it" to "actually fixing it and making it work like it should"....and that includes the timing of the traffic signals. One has to consider many variables: road width, lane width, road grade, pavement composition, curves, visibility, 85th percentile speed, posted speed limit, intersection width, egress/ingress of private businesses, driveways, location and size of inductive vehicle detection loops in the pavement and more.

There's no one size fits all and I doubt the "engineer" that reported it had a clue what he was talking about except maybe in his own mind. :cool:
Kinda like the IT systems manager that comes here and insists we are wrong with the advice we give them :lmao:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
"Yup all them experts"
I repaired the cord on the computer. = I am now an electrical engineer.
I changed a spark plug on the mower and found the engine on my car. I am now a mechanic.
I fixed the network problem after 3 hours with tech support on the phone. The dummies couldn't find
the cable chewed by the puppy. I am now a network computer network engineer.
I am a 24 year old PHD. I know everything.
Sure is a shame we have all the new experts that don't have the ability to learn a dang thing.