Frustrating that I'm missing motion... video and settings included for review

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why I might not be getting all of the motion in this event from my driveway captured. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the first video alert. This clip stops while motion is still present.

Here is the second video alert. This clip misses the motion of the individual walking back to their vehicle and getting in.

Here are the clips as shown in BI
Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 7.04.02 PM.png

Here are my settings
Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 7.08.49 PM.png

Reaction score
Min. Object size, Min. Contrast and Min. Duration are way too high. I have my Min Object size around 230, Min Contrast around 12 and Min. Duration at 0.2 sec.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What smiti said, though I have my make times at about 0.6 or 0.7 and size/contrast vary by the cameras view. One important note is that if you are using direct to disk (which you probably are) its important to set your cameras iframe interval to match the fps. Blue iris will only start recording when a new frame is sent. It is also therefore important to set the pretrigger frames to a least double your fps.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@smiticans... I just changed it to 250, 15 and .7. We'll see how that works. @fenderman... here are my camera settings, do these look okay?
Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 10.15.56 PM.png

Thanks for the replies!

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
After making the suggested changes, the rain overnight produced close to 200 alerts. Any kind of tuning that can be done to minimize that? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After making the suggested changes, the rain overnight produced close to 200 alerts. Any kind of tuning that can be done to minimize that? Thanks
you will need to clone the cameras and have distinct settings for alerts vs recording. This is the only way to ensure you never miss true motion.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
you will need to clone the cameras and have distinct settings for alerts vs recording. This is the only way to ensure you never miss true motion.
Thanks fenderman... how do I clone a camera? Besides that I'm not sure I'm grasping how that would help. I don't want to record everything 24/7. I only want to record alerts and I want those alerts meaningful. Capturing small animals or rain drops with alerts is counterproductive for me. I'm willing to try other things and I'm still learning BI. I really appreciate your willingness to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
simply add another camera to blue iris. Disable recording..only setup for alerts - with a higher threshold. Then hide the camera so you dont have doubles on the screen. Disable alerts on the recording camera.
You will not be able to eliminate all false alerts AND capture every legitamate movement. Storage is cheap. Its better to capture more than less.